"Same Powders"

quigley257

I am aware of a few identical powders that are sold by different companies under different labels/names. In these days of shortages, I figured it could be helpful to know which powders are the same as some have much more limited load data as well as availability. These are the ones that are identical, just marketed under different names. Some are discontinued, but still out there being used. Do your own research. Please chime in with any other KNOWN matches.

Identical Powders
Winchester W231 and Hodgdon HP-38
Winchester W296 and Hodgdon H110
Winchester W540 and Hodgdon HS-6
Winchester W571 and Hodgdon HS-7
Winchester W760 and Hodgdon H414
Winchester WAP and Ramshot Silhouette
Accurate 4100 and Ramshot Enforcer
Accurate 2230 and Ramshot X-Terminator
Accurate 2520 and Ramshot Wild Boar
Alliant Reloder 15 and Norma 203B
IMR 4227 and Hodgdon H4227

I also realize that there are another entire group of powders that are identical by weight but not by volume. Red Dot and Promo are the first ones that come to mind.

http://www.adiworldclass.com.au/powder-equivalents/

Many (almost all powder sold in the US with the exception of St Mark's) is really bought from other places and repackaged by a more familiar name here. In working defense, you get used to the names based on the real source, then mentally you switch back to the names we use here.

The St. Marks plant is one of the few domestic plants left that sells what becomes retail powder after it is repackaged, but that plant specializes in ball powder as far as reloaders are concerned. That means every extruded powder folks know from Hodgdon is actually an import.

Here are the ADI (Australian) names after they are repackaged by Hodgdon.

1670357734960.png

I wouldn't say h110 and ww296 are the same! I use both in the same cartridge and have yet to have the same powder charge at max. On 44mag and 50ae there can be as close as .2gr, but that's it. I also use both in 300bo and at max neither are the same charge. Most load data states a .1-.2 variance between them.

I wouldn't say h110 and ww296 are the same! I use both in the same cartridge and have yet to have the same powder charge at max. On 44mag and 50ae there can be as close as .2gr, but that's it. I also use both in 300bo and at max neither are the same charge. Most load data states a .1-.2 variance between them.
That is the difference you will see from lot to lot. W296 and H110 are definitely the same powder as confirmed by the manufacturer.

I am aware of a few identical powders that are sold by different companies under different labels/names. In these days of shortages, I figured it could be helpful to know which powders are the same as some have much more limited load data as well as availability. These are the ones that are identical, just marketed under different names. Some are discontinued, but still out there being used. Do your own research. Please chime in with any other KNOWN matches.

Identical Powders
Winchester W231 and Hodgdon HP-38
Winchester W296 and Hodgdon H110
Winchester W540 and Hodgdon HS-6
Winchester W571 and Hodgdon HS-7
Winchester W760 and Hodgdon H414
Winchester WAP and Ramshot Silhouette
Accurate 4100 and Ramshot Enforcer
Accurate 2230 and Ramshot X-Terminator
Accurate 2520 and Ramshot Wild Boar
Alliant Reloder 15 and Norma 203B
IMR 4227 and Hodgdon H4227

I also realize that there are another entire group of powders that are identical by weight but not by volume. Red Dot and Promo are the first ones that come to mind.
Might want to add that lot to lot variations can be such that loads should not automatically be trusted to be the same and safe……. Whenever starting with a new lot of powder, even same label, start with a reduced load and work up for your own health and equipment safety!! 👍

Might want to add that lot to lot variations can be such that loads should not automatically be trusted to be the same and safe……. Whenever starting with a new lot of powder, even same label, start with a reduced load and work up for your own health and equipment safety!! 👍
Yes. Always. As suggested by all powder manufacturers, any time you switch lot numbers, rework your load from a lower charge due to possible variation from lot to lot. Especially prudent if you're running near max and you switch lots.

That is the difference you will see from lot to lot. W296 and H110 are definitely the same powder as confirmed by the manufacturer.
If produced by the same manufacturer hopefully lot #s would be the same. If not it would be idiotic regardless of label (hodgdon or ww)!

If produced by the same manufacturer hopefully lot #s would be the same. If not it would be idiotic regardless of label (hodgdon or ww)!
They probably don't split one lot into both products, so it's unlikely you'll find the same lot with both labels. I'm not sure why you think lot numbers would be the same just because they're made by the same manufacturer, every time they make a new batch it gets a new lot number.

They probably don't split one lot into both products, so it's unlikely you'll find the same lot with both labels. I'm not sure why you think lot numbers would be the same just because they're made by the same manufacturer, every time they make a new batch it gets a new lot number.
Then they're not the same, only in fairy tales!

Ok, here I go
VMD for both at .0656 cc/gr
density
h110 15.256
ww296 15.244
not equal/same, but close