Same load in WW and RP brass?

Brentster7189

My daughter has a 7mm-08 that I've been reloading the past few months. I only have 50 cases of RP brass...it's pretty much sold out everywhere online now. I have a load worked up. 47g of IMR4350/139g SST/CCI200 , so it's hot enough that now reloading the brass is failing. So I need some new stuff, it's crunch time...almost time to go hunting.

My question is if I get some Winchester brass will I be able to work with this same load, or do I need to rework them and work up again. She had a Nikon BDC reticle on the scope, so testing the velocity and getting her range card for her reticle is a must. Obviously I'm going to see a difference in velocity with different brass?

I may drop it a grain, I'm getting about 2830 for a velocity on the afore mentioned load, I would do this to try and extend the life of the brass. I still think dropping a grain would still give me the velocity I need.

Thanks in advance....and yes, I'm only into reloading a few months now, so that's why the question.

In the cal's. that I run both rem and win brass in, there is always a bit of difference; sometimes just accuracy, sometimes just pressure, sometimes both. I'd back off a few percent and work back into it. Have you thought of 308 brass necked down? That's about all I shot in my 7-08 when I had one. That would likely be a bit different than either 7-08 option, but available.

I agree about down siseing the 308, it is a easy fix since they are from the same brass blank, you can also do the same with 300 sav (if you dont mind the odd look due to the shorter neck) and you can lube the inside neck of a 243 and enlarge the neck to 284 (this takes time lube-bump the button, lube-bump the button then relube and press through)
Have you enealed your brass yet? Annealing will remove the hardness / brittleness to the neck and shoulders that fireing does. if you dont know how to aneal get yourself a set of plyers a propaine torche and a non flamible surface (I use my garage floor, cement). With the torch on medium hold a UNPRIMED case with the plyers by the base and flame the area just below the shoulder to the mouth for 2 or 3 seconds (rotate as you go) then place the brass on the floor to cool. After the brass has cooled lube then fl sise good as new:)

Brass does make a difference.I tested 45.5grs of Varget with a 165gr bullet in my 308.I used Winchester,Nosler and Remington brass.The Winchester and Nosler produce nearly identical groups,however the Remington brass loads produced groups around 1" larger.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.