Same bullet different lot ?

WhiteOak

For Nosler bullets, do any of you work back up when changing to a different lot but still use the same grain and weight ?

I would shoot a three shot group and see if all looks good, before beginning another load development project. You could also measure bearing surface length or base to ogive lengths to see if there's much difference between the two lots of bullets - unless you've already shot all of the prior Lot bullets.

I would shoot a three shot group and see if all looks good, before beginning another load development project. You could also measure bearing surface length or base to ogive lengths to see if there's much difference between the two lots of bullets - unless you've already shot all of the prior Lot bullets.
Thanks Phorwath, this is a preventive maintenance question really !

I've been stocking up when I can , two boxes of 50 and next week a box of 50 different lot.
What I have done is compared weights , they are very consistent.

Thanks Phorwath, this is a preventive maintenance question really !

I've been stocking up when I can , two boxes of 50 and next week a box of 50 different lot.
What I have done is compared weights , they are very consistent.

I've not done this with Nosler bullets, but I have done it with Barnes bullets and SMKs. I have had no discernible difference in accuracy using different lots.

If you like Noslers, keep your eye on Cabelas. I got 1,000 count boxes of 168g HPBTs for $219 each early last year. I keep them on my favorites to check on the price every once in a while.

I've not done this with Nosler bullets, but I have done it with Barnes bullets and SMKs. I have had no discernible difference in accuracy using different lots.

If you like Noslers, keep your eye on Cabelas. I got 1,000 count boxes of 168g HPBTs for $219 each early last year. I keep them on my favorites to check on the price every once in a while.
Thanks Scrmblr !

I shoot lots of 22 cal 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Over several years and bullets from several different lots I've not seen any performance difference in accuracy or terminal performance. That holds true for different lots of powders and primers too, at least in my Rem 700 221 Fireball.

I shoot lots of 22 cal 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Over several years and bullets from several different lots I've not seen any performance difference in accuracy or terminal performance. That holds true for different lots of powders and primers too, at least in my Rem 700 221 Fireball.
Thank you !

That has not held true for me with powder. I made the mistake last fall of short cutting and it did not work well. Always sucks to have to use a rubber mallet to open the bolt. I was short of components and time so I went back in the journal found an old proven load and put them together. Went to sight in for the trip and didn't get past the first shot. Every thing was the same except the lot of powder and probably primers for that matter.

Anyway I just wanted to get that out not to trust too much. I would not hesitate to load diff lot bullets to the same load, just be careful on the ignition components.

Steve

That has not held true for me with powder. I made the mistake last fall of short cutting and it did not work well. Always sucks to have to use a rubber mallet to open the bolt. I was short of components and time so I went back in the journal found an old proven load and put them together. Went to sight in for the trip and didn't get past the first shot. Every thing was the same except the lot of powder and probably primers for that matter.

Anyway I just wanted to get that out not to trust too much. I would not hesitate to load diff lot bullets to the same load, just be careful on the ignition components.

Steve
Thanks Rockymtnmt, through the different forums and manuals , powder and primers are the most talked about when changing from one lot to the other.
But not so much on lot to lot with the same bullet.

I most of the time Google search something before I ask on a forum.

Thanks again !

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts