Sambar Stag at 482 yards - 300wsm

sydhunter

I thought this might interest members using the various 300 magnums.

We returned from our annual hunt in the Alpine National Park in Victoria- Australia. I had the opportunity to harvest a stag at 482 yards with my 300wsm (Fierce Carbon titanium) shooting 175 LRX handloads. The stag only took a few very slow steps after the first shot, I saw the reaction to the impact and knew it was a good shot but took my habitual insurance shot as soon as I was ready.

The muzzle velocity is 3010fps behind 64 grains of AR2209.

The scope is a swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 with a balistic turret.

The photographs show the spot I shot from, the red spot is the area the stag was feeding and the entry points.

He is a big bodied stag and so far the venison from him has been great, in the antler department he had not yet developed the tops, despite having decent length and brow tines. So I will keep searching for the thick beamed 28" antlered stags.

We found him upside down, so luckily there were three of us to move him, otherwise getting the backstraps would have been difficult. We did not drop his guts so I did not take a look inside to see the extent of the damage, but judging from the fact that he did not even try to run, the bullets did what they were designed to do.

Attachments

• IMG_8124.JPG
    IMG_8124.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 285
  • Sambar.jpg
    Sambar.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_8120.JPG
    IMG_8120.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 300
Great on You!!! Congrat's happy to have you here ,great shooting ,great pic's thks for posting it up !!! , loaded some same bullets for my 1st cousin's 300 bee, yes Barnes makes a fine bullet for sure !

I heard they have been flying helicopters over the areas near the ski fields at Hotham. Hopefully, they will stay out of the National Park.
I was shown a video just recently of a chopper shooting sambar. It just shows you how far from reality the decision makers are. There are thousands of hunters who will shoot these deer and utilize them (and pay for the privilege) but they think it better to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to shoot them from the air and leave them to rot. I think the days of true free range deer hunting in this country are numbered.

I was shown a video just recently of a chopper shooting sambar. It just shows you how far from reality the decision makers are. There are thousands of hunters who will shoot these deer and utilize them (and pay for the privilege) but they think it better to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to shoot them from the air and leave them to rot. I think the days of true free range deer hunting in this country are numbered.
The Victorians have been good with hunting organisations banding together so hopefully it wont get as bad as QLD or difficult as NSW, in the meantime like you say we should enjoy it.

Yes, but hunters enjoy doing so and are considered to be Barbarians society is better off without by the animal rights nuts and anti gun idiots.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.