Salvage a Savage action

Gregg C

Got a question...
First the background. In short, I over charged my 338-378 Weatherby on a Savage 110 action, by 20%. Swelled the barrel. Some .005", or so, I'll check that out more accurately in a bit. How would one determine if the action itself is savageable?
If that is the case, at a reasonable expense I have a milder build in mind. What say you all?

Just checked, original datum case against case last fired....
.008 of an inch difference in case diameter just above the belt.

Yeah, did the remote fire thing. After looking it over with a bore scope real good, I put a properly charged case in it, and it came out the same. So I know the chamber is euckered , but how about the action itself?

Did the barrel nut move in this process? Is it still on there like it should be? I would assume only the bolt could have been damaged but I am not really sure. This might require a gunsmith, I know I have had mostly bad results with gunsmiths so I get if you're apprehensive.

Got a question...
First the background. In short, I over charged my 338-378 Weatherby on a Savage 110 action, by 20%. Swelled the barrel. Some .005", or so, I'll check that out more accurately in a bit. How would one determine if the action itself is savageable?
If that is the case, at a reasonable expense I have a milder build in mind. What say you all?
I suggest a Cero- safe chamber cast then compare against chamber prints.

Did the barrel nut move in this process? Is it still on there like it should be? I would assume only the bolt could have been damaged but I am not really sure. This might require a gunsmith, I know I have had mostly bad results with gunsmiths so I get if you're apprehensive.
I had the Lilia barrel shouldered, so no nut. I have worked with a really good , I believe, Smith, and I'm certain he could let me know. Yet I hesitate to get him involved just now for the reason of educating myself. Mental gymnastics, you could say. Shucks, that's half the fun of this!
Hoping to get a small handle on what I'm about.

I suggest a Cero- safe chamber cast then compare against chamber prints.
Well, thanks. Not to downplay your suggestion, but doesn't the brass coming out after firing .008 " bigger than normal already tell me that it's been swelled? I've never used that stuff, is it easy(cheap)?

Well, thanks. Not to downplay your suggestion, but doesn't the brass coming out after firing .008 " bigger than normal already tell me that it's been swelled? I've never used that stuff, is it easy(cheap)?
It's cheap. But it will indicate if the chamber has stressed out of specification.

That's my next step, I think....
Wondering how much torque will be needed...
Seems like I've read any where up to 70pf, if no thread locker. Sound about right?

I would think the receiver has grown the same as the chamber.
So, it needs to be verified dimensionally.
Try using a micrometer or dial calipers on the o.d. of the receiver at the front edge, then where the front of the ejector port is. It should be the same when new.

I would think the receiver has grown the same as the chamber.
So, it needs to be verified dimensionally.
Try using a micrometer or dial calipers on the o.d. of the receiver at the front edge, then where the front of the ejector port is. It should be the same when new.
Ummm....i never measured it new. But maybe, I could take some comparison measurements along the action....
I'll be back

I was shooting 80 grains of Retumbo. So very similar to the Gunwerks load.