Salt wood stock

jbo829

Hello all I have a weatherby Mark V varmintmaster made in west Germany in 1969 I'm aware they used salt wood stock in the jp sauer made guns which mine is gun is in great shape until u take the stock off there is rust on the action and some on the barrel it's pitted pretty bad the box inside the magazine compartment is ruin i contacted weatherby and I really didn't get much help thought they would stand behind their products alittle more was told to just remove rust to keep from growing and oil metal and to send stock in to a company they use for refinish (this is not a this company sucks thread or hateful bash)

what other options do I have do I take it to a smith and ruin original blue and have it ceracoated and drop it in into a new stock or am I up S*** creek without a paddle

Are you the original owner? If so, since you are aware of the salt wood, why did it take you so long to strip the wood to look for damage? O.K., you having asked, this is what I would do. Get the rusty parts bead-blasted. Then send the affected parts to be black nitrided. Then you have the option of having the original stock refinished or springing for a new stock. Weatherby is a good company. Thinking they should be liable for for a gun that is over 50 years old is beyond the pale. When this problem was discovered Weatherby went above and beyond trying to make distributors, sellers, and owners aware of the problem. Thousands of original T-bolts were involved, too. Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply no I'm not original owner and we all have different luck I'm guessing had an issue with an old browning call them and they fixed not a penny on my end have a Remington 700 stock cracked they sent me a new one even nicer looking wood

Hello all I have a weatherby Mark V varmintmaster made in west Germany in 1969 I'm aware they used salt wood stock in the jp sauer made guns which mine is gun is in great shape until u take the stock off there is rust on the action and some on the barrel it's pitted pretty bad the box inside the magazine compartment is ruin i contacted weatherby and I really didn't get much help thought they would stand behind their products alittle more was told to just remove rust to keep from growing and oil metal and to send stock in to a company they use for refinish (this is not a this company sucks thread or hateful bash)

what other options do I have do I take it to a smith and ruin original blue and have it ceracoated and drop it in into a new stock or am I up S*** creek without a paddle
I took a Browning Safari to a gunsmith and had it sandblasted and coated and put it in a Mcmillan stock. That was the only way to salvage it.

Most of the salt wood stocks come from the west coast near the ocean. I have had several of them and tried to clean and refinish them with no luck. I sent one back to browning and they re finished it
and within a year, the salt was already coming to the surface and the stock had to be replaced.

Replace it with a different stock of a different wood or synthetic and fix the rust and solve the problem.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the replies I'll lock for a new box and follower and end up doing that gun probably ain't worth much anymore to try to keep all original

Salt wood was caused by putting salt on the ricks of walnut to speed drying.

There is no cure --- period.

Have a pal with a salt wood T bolt that he bought new and quickly realized it. Since it is 4X crotch, he kept it. Stock and metal are never together except when he shows it. Then all metal is coated with RIG. Show over taken apart and cleaned and oiled.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.