Salt Bath Annealing

Hey guys,
I stumbled onto this video and I wanted to hear your opinion on this method of annealing.

I think this is a great system and I "wanted" to buy the entire set up for a wildcat cartridge that I have built. I have to fire form my brass and decided to give the brass an annealing before fire forming; probably can get away with the factory annealing, just wanted to do my own for the first firing. The problem that I found was that the system was unavailable. The site said that due to high volume of sales, it presently was not available.

It is ideal for pre-fire-forming preps of wildcats. This, because you can deep body anneal so easily, and then fire forming is a done deal within a couple shots.

This system is incredibly easy and cost effective. I've annealed 100's of cases and haven't ruined a one. The kids can easily anneal their own cases. The temperature stays constant so it gives you beautiful consistent results. There's no guessing either. Find a time that works best (usually 5-7 seconds) and take them out. I use a water quench immediately after. This is a must buy.

I got mine about a month ago. It works great, really easy. You just have to check website every day until you get lucky with your timing to buy one. It's worth the time in finding one. He has a small business and makes products and post them 5 days a week. Keep trying and be patient.

A funny thing happened to me also with my order. It took a couple of weeks or so to be delivered because it got hung up in customs for about a week. I guess customs may have thought the salt was something else other than what it is.

I did as SLV Hunter suggests and checked the website many times a day, and finally was able to purchase a set. I'm moving my reloading area so haven't used it yet but as an engineer I have to say, I'm impressed with how simple and elegant this setup is. It takes very little benchtop space and appears intuitive to use, so long as you stay in a rhythm, stick to the dwell time and don't get distracted. I love seeing small businesses succeed and I hope the proprietor is wildly successful. A question for current users - in use, does the salt give off fumes? Should I set up some ventilation for this in my new reloading area?

Fumes are not a problem. The hazard here is with stored heat energy and/or reaction with any water introduced. I've lead dip annealed for decades, just being careful, but this is far safer.

I am also hopeful that the innovator's efforts pay off. I'm sure others will copy but we should support those who brought this to us.

Last edited:
. The kids can easily anneal their own cases. The temperature stays constant so it gives you beautiful consistent results

High burn danger. Make sure cord is routed safely so no one trips on it sending molten magma everywhere.

Fumes are not a problem. The hazard here is with stored heat energy and/or reaction with any water introduced

No fumes to worry about if at the proper temps. The 500 Celsius area is generally fume free. You must moniter the temp though. Dangerous fumes are possible if overheated.

The introduction to your beer or soda spilling into it will be as dangerous as working with hot lead. Just use caution and think things out. Dont leave it unattended. I do mine away from the kids in garage. Taping the cord down going to the melt pot might be an idea for saftey.

Ive been doing it a year now. I think its superior way to do it. Cant skrew it up if you have a temp prob in the pot.

But.....safety does need considered .I cant imagine the agony of a burn from that stuff if an unsuspecting kid bumped it or something.

Last edited: