Salt Bath Annealing

It looks fantastic. I have a few 25/20s that I can't get brass for anymore.
Could use this set-up for annealing 32/20 cases before sizing to 25/20.
How much does it cost?
Zeke

Currently there are lots of annealers on the market today. The DIY drill and torch, the fancy benchsource, and the high dollar induction style electric units. I was in the market and found Ballistic Recreations. Gary Chambers makes and sells salt bath kits for annealing. All you have to provide is a melting pot. It looks extremely legit and the nice part is the salt holds it temperature very well. I ordered one and should be here early next week.

Check it out for yourselves.

Thanks!

Jayson

Great post! Thanks!

Currently there are lots of annealers on the market today. The DIY drill and torch, the fancy benchsource, and the high dollar induction style electric units. I was in the market and found Ballistic Recreations. Gary Chambers makes and sells salt bath kits for annealing. All you have to provide is a melting pot. It looks extremely legit and the nice part is the salt holds it temperature very well. I ordered one and should be here early next week.

Check it out for yourselves.

Thanks!

Jayson

Great Post!

Been doing this for a while and love it. Gotta get a fixture from him. Mine was a quick setup to run it for some testing. I also built a temp controller (PID) for mine though. Probe goes through the fixture you plug the pot into the controller with it turned on then set the temp you want on the controller. It cycles the pot as needed to maintain your temp. The process goes so quick and you get repeatable results.

Been doing this for a while and love it. Gotta get a fixture from him. Mine was a quick setup to run it for some testing. I also built a temp controller (PID) for mine though. Probe goes through the fixture you plug the pot into the controller with it turned on then set the temp you want on the controller. It cycles the pot as needed to maintain your temp. The process goes so quick and you get repeatable results.

Would you be able to pm or post the schematic, parts or pics of your temp controller? I could see it being useful for lead casting also. The Lee bi-metal temp control works but I like more precision and smaller temp swing. Would be super mega grateful!

Would you be able to pm or post the schematic, parts or pics of your temp controller? I could see it being useful for lead casting also. The Lee bi-metal temp control works but I like more precision and smaller temp swing. Would be super mega grateful!

I think I have a pretty complete list with links to what I got for parts. With any luck I can dig up a schematic. There are plenty of them online for building these. It isn't very expensive either. Let me dig a little and I'll get back to you.

Hi all, while new here, not new to shooting, reloading and annealing.

I have been utilizing this method for two years now. I have mostly used it to anneal my 50 BMG Match Brass (I compete in FCSA Matches), and it has given me very good results.

As far as the process, I put an old baking sheet/pan under my Lee Pot, to prevent anything from dripping on my bench when I remove the cases. After removing case from salt bath I immediately drop the case into a 5 Gal bucket filled about half way with cold tap water (make sure bucket is on the floor to prevent ANY possibility of splashing water into salts). When finished, I put the cases into a Frankford Arsenal Dehydrator for drying.

I have found that the Lee Pot Temp controller, left a lot to be desired, when trying to maintain constant temps. The PIT Controller mentioned above, cured that issue.

When finished annealing, turn off your pot, and let the salts cool and harden. Then dump the hardened salt "puck" back into the original salt container and tightly close the lid. This prevents any possibility of moisture absorbing into the salts.

Lastly, NEVER allow the salt temp to exceed 590°C. It will produce harmful vapors. As long as you keep it below this temp (I anneal at 560°C) you will not experience any fumes.

Note: I've found that if I put just a little bit of Lemishine into the water, the cases come out, with no appearance of the annealing coloration. I like shiny brass..lol.

I've been salt bath annealing my brass for over two years. The process is easy, fast and the results consistent. I used to use the torch and templac method, spinning the case on a cordless drill however find the salt bath method far more consistanent.

Gary Chambers (aka Ballisticrecreations.ca) is a great guy. When I first heard about and researched this process, I had many questions. After speaking with Gary, I ended up going to his house. He took the timr to explain/show me the process and answered my questions. I'm sure he will answer any questions you may have.

MN-Shooter....do you not find 560C a little too hot? I anneal at 500C (as per ballistic recreation's recommendations) and immerse for 4-6 seconds depending on the brass. Are you simply running hotter because you are annealing 50 BMG brass?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.