Salt Bath Annealing Doesn't Work! by AMP

dok7mm

I tried to download the link from AMP, but the link wouldn't upload from my phone.

In a nutshell, AMP has been testing results with Molten Salt Bath Annealing. They have found it doesn't anneal the cases anywhere near enough on the necks.

If this interests you, go to AMP menu/Media/Articles. Perhaps someone can post that article or the link.

dok7mm when you started the thread I was rather surprised at what you had written so I went to have a look. I have been reading the various posts about Salt Bath Annealing and wondered if I had spent a bucket load of money on an AMP machine when there was a much cheaper method. It looks like I didn't waste my money after all.

Ok...the first thing that pops into my mind is something that I've thought was improper to do regardless the method used...quenching the brass.

I'm no engineer so I've never study any on how metal works technically. But I have heat treated and tempered steel while build a AK receiver. It seems to have worked as there is no wear in the areas I did.

Any way...I wonder if they had let the brass cool naturally, if it would have improved there results. I do mine with a torch and let them cool naturally. The brass fairly hot to touch for long time.

I have read like many of you I'm sure, that the job is done as soon as the heat leaves the piece so it doesn't matter how you cool the brass. But that has never seemed correct in my little brain.

This is interesting.

There is a reason why you aren't suppose to quench as soon as it leaves the heat.

Brass is a different kind of product for sure,,, there was a study on annealing brass using a few different methods,,, the results from the over seas report would make you shake your head as they show you the results under the microscope...

I'll see if I can find the link some time today on threw the week,,, basically annealing brass does not work since its properties are blended then formed into a cartridge on a 1 time deal,,, no matter what annealing technique you use,,, the basics strength of the brass remains the same...

The laboratory has been doing this testing for 4 years plus the other 2 as we await the results that should be released some time this year we hope...

This was the largest study ever taken on cartridge brass to date according to the report,,, the only reason it got underway was to find out if annealing is worth the effort,,, or a waist of time...

So far the test results show no benefits what so ever as they test many different brass cartridges of all kinds...

PS: I hope to find this over seas Laboratory test results that started back in 2012 if I recall,,, actually I think the link on this was posted on the forum...

One of us might remember seeing it I'm sure...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.