Salmon River Solutions Ti self timing brake

Bravo 4

Ken (livetohunt) sent me one of his new self timing titanium muzzle brakes to test.
My first impression was "Dang this thing feels like a toy it's so light!" Good looking piece of equipment too, very well made. This was to go one my hunting rifles, a 10 pound .300WinMag. Despite its looks (Ugly! 20 years of hard use and abuse) this thing shoots exceptionally well for wearing a factory barrel in the old plastic stock. The add ons are a Rifle Basix Sav2 trigger and a very well known 3 port brake, actually one of my favorites. This is what I was comparing the new Ti against, as this brake works so well that I can actually spot impacts on paper at 100 yards. That is really saying something about how good it is when sitting on a .300 of any flavor. I am happy to say that the Ti went step for step with it! A buddy and I put several dozen rounds (190 and 208 grain loads) through the rifle today. Half with the Salmon River and half with the "other brand". We shot bipod on bench and prone, and with a front rest and bag on the bench. Even shot prone in dry dirt that has been recently tilled. Neither of us could tell any discernible difference in recoil or muzzle rise between the two brakes. About the only thing that was really any different was the blast that sent dirt back towards the shooter or those around him, the positive was in the favor of the Salmon River brake. The Salmon River is 2/3 the weight and a tad smaller than my 3 port. I will say this, I am a fan and will be buying one to go on my .33XC. I have 2 other brakes I can put it up against, but a Surefire and side port factory Savage brake aren't even really comparable. The only thing negative I can say about it (and is really more operator error) is that uncoated titanium apparently scratches easier than steel. You should put a barrier between a wrench and bare metal, we took it on & off multiple times for testing and I did not protect it. If you seen this rifle, you would see I'm not too worried about rub marks or scratches. I think I keep Krylon in business sometimes!😁
The specs are here in post 83:

Attachments

• D4D75863-066D-40D7-B7A7-8823590E69B1.jpeg
    D4D75863-066D-40D7-B7A7-8823590E69B1.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 478
  • 5C06AE27-29B7-4D3C-B95E-29498E9E5721.jpeg
    5C06AE27-29B7-4D3C-B95E-29498E9E5721.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Brovo4, great write up, just to clarify was it your previous brake that threw dirt up or the Ti brake you were testing?

Thanks,
Dave

They both did, as I would expect all to. Even unbraked will under the conditions we were in, just not directed back. I purposely shot in the loose dirt to see if there would be any difference between the two, especially back towards the shooter/spotter. The Ti brake had a slight but noticeable edge in this. We didn't just shoot a round or two from each and say "yep, that'll do". I know from reading previous threads on this site that this is something guys ask about. We both switched out from spotting to shooting, and between brakes as to get a good datum line (or point, whatever the right terminology to this is feel free to correct me). I would never call myself an expert on anything, but I do shoot and train shooters for a living. My buddy, though LE, isn't what I'd call a professional in the text of shooting. He does however shoot more than anyone I know outside of the profession, and I trust his opinion. We weren't there to prove how good this brake worked, we were there to test it against one of the best recoil reducing brakes I've used.

Did you notice any POI changes switching between the two brakes? That is a big weight difference at the end of the barrel.

This particular rifle is pretty forgiving with its favorite ammo, the190s. That's why I used the 208 ammo as well. The 190 has enough precision to really be able to tell the difference. Is even a small shift. However the groups open way up to .5"- .75" @ 100 (😁) with the 208s so there may have been a small shift but I felt it inconclusive. Another rifle however, and you never know. That was going from one brake to another. Going from naked barrel to the heavier 3 port gives it almost .5" shift @ 100. That is something I knew going into this.

I bought a self-timing Ti Pro 3 990 earlier this year on RS in .284 for a Cooper that I had threaded, but never ended up using the brake on it. Just sold the Cooper and then subsequently bought a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 7 mag which I just picked up today from my FFL, and installed the brake. Looks like it was born for the rifle. Hope to get to the range in the next couple of weeks when I get back from vacation to break in the rifle as well as see how this brake does. High hopes that this will be a tack driver and a pleasure to shoot

Thanks for the review Marc! Glad to see you liked it.

I have some of these available for sale now, if anyone is interested shoot me pm.
Ken, One question. How badly does it throw sparks? I am asking for two reasons. 1) I have a Ti brake on an AR. It throws sparks so bad it is unsettling. 2) My RUM has a pig of a brake on it and is quite muzzle heavy.....

Ken, One question. How badly does it throw sparks? I am asking for two reasons. 1) I have a Ti brake on an AR. It throws sparks so bad it is unsettling. 2) My RUM has a pig of a brake on it and is quite muzzle heavy.....

move never noticed it being any different than shooting any other gun. I have a crappy video of me shooting a Ti pro on 3 different guns, then one of the guns with no brake. It's on our YouTube channel.

Ken