Salmon Fly Prep

Muddyboots

This is time of year I resupply my salmon trolling flies. This is a pattern that has caught most of our bigger kings past couple years. I had to up the leader to 50 lbs since we are catching kings into the 30's last few years. I've been tying flies since 9 years old, so basically since last ice age. Might as well take the hit myself before my "friends" on LRH reply.😂
C1EB780C-8DF9-4860-9764-08267573C583.jpeg

Yeah, it really is in many ways. Reloading you think of nice buck or bull. Tying these flies, I recall downrigger strike, drags screaming and chaos trying to keep big king out if other lines. Dangggg! It is so cool!
Wish we were there with you guys. What lakes are you fishing???

I bought this boat new at the Syracuse boat show in NY in 1989 and still going strong. Stable, fishes great and solid for rough water.

1989 Penn Yan Tournament 212 with V6 Mercruiser I/O. Now 33 years old!

Rigged with 4 electric downriggers, triple rod trees, triple rod holders and planer masts both sides. Pretty much fish any time of condition on great lakes. Lowrance graph, GPS and plotter. Fish Hawk X4 temp probe. Just put a new Trailmaster trailer under it and that hurt$$$! But wore out old trailer!
92FF650E-1E50-421D-BCDB-65A578DDEA02.jpeg

Dazam....nice fish brother. We can only keep hatchery and wilds cant leave the water. We fish rivers for kings and 30lb keeper is a very one until the fall run arrive. When they took the unclipped away the average size shrunk. We fish close to the salt, and way upriver from the salt. So they have been in fresh from a few days to a month or more. Salt water guys will drag flies, hoochies etc. We troll Spoons, Herring, spinners, k14-15 flatfish, and a plastic bait called a Super Bait. Super bait freaking works super good and easy to rig and fish. Run them behind flashers and dodgers off riggers or droppers as a lot of time we are only 30-50' not 200' deep.