sale me on the 6.5 creedmore

Great reading for an early Thanksgiving morning. I'm just thankful that I live in a country where you can still shoot what suits your fancy. I'm partial to the 257 and 264 calibers and have more that necessary of each but I choose not to limit myself to these calibers "just in case". No Creedmore (tho I load for my cousins) but of the 6.5 Gibbs, 6.5x284, and 260, I like the 260 the best. If the 6.5x284 were lighter I might lean in that direction because Idaho's flat land is all up hill and I'm getting older. I guess I either need to rebarrel the the 6.5x284 or AI the 260. Happy Thanksgiving all.

So seems only thing in na gun magizine now days is 6.5 creedmore.Some hoe its the holy grail of guns. I am not knocking it. Just that looking at ballistic numbers I do not see it as any better rnd than a lot of older tried and true rounds. Give me your sells pitch.
What I know is that it pretty much the choice for today's law enforcement snipers for many departments across the country and the round is winning in long distance championships. Is the 308 the round of yesterday not sure it still wins championship
So seems only thing in na gun magizine now days is 6.5 creedmore.Some hoe its the holy grail of guns. I am not knocking it. Just that looking at ballistic numbers I do not see it as any better rnd than a lot of older tried and true rounds. Give me your sells pitch.

I think folk get too worked up about this, and start comparing it with all sorts of rounds that aren't in the same category.

The fact is that it is a short action, standard bolt face 6.5 that is accurate, light recoiling, gives good barrel life and can handle modern high BC bullets. 6.5 x 47 Lapua is very similar, as is 260 Remington, though the latter doesn't accommodate longer bullets quite as well as the first two. The 6.5 x 55 Swedish is not a short action cartridge and is 130 years old so can't be loaded to the same pressure that the more modern cartridges are - so doesn't offer any better performance. They all work however, and for hunting the deer won't know the difference.

The fact that the Creedmoor is popular is a good thing, in that ammunition is available pretty much everywhere. If you reload then that may be less important.

See my post above re the true intent of the 6.5Creedmor design.
Yea it's good for what it was designed for. and as I stated the hype is more then the actual,
I never said it was a Bad Cartridge, but there are better all around calibers. I prefer the 30 Cal class for take down power and the Distance of the 308 with different Bullet weights makes it a better round for me in Montana where there are a LOT of 1,000 Yd Plus shots from Coyote to Elk & Bear.

I think several of you are overstating the importance of marketing hype. Yes it is influential, but if the cartridge did not deliver it would not be so successful in the PRS world. I shoot both the 6cm and the 6.5cm at long range (greater than 800 yds) and they deliver. The balance of the round is near perfect and the bullet selection is mind numbing. The 6.5 by 47 does the same thing. Both are balanced rounds that fit in standard magazines when bullets are seated for accuracy and they perform at range.

If it were hype alone it would have went the way of the 375 federal.

I have looked at it and the 6.5 X 47, but I am sticking with my 6.5 X 55.
My buddy loves his Swedemoor as well.

I have a Creedmoor but I went 6mm, I wanted a fast twist .243. Brownell's was selling Howa barreled actions for $250 a couple months ago, and made the decision for me.

What I know is that it pretty much the choice for today's law enforcement snipers for many departments across the country and the round is winning in long distance championships. Is the 308 the round of yesterday not sure it still wins championship but I would say that some would also say the the winner of 2 world wars is still the king. Myself I use all them it depends on how much you want to shoot in a afternoon but for hunting it's is the one a person can effectively use and get an ethical kill. Where I live some say the old thirty thirty is king and has killed more deer than the rest.

If I had a choice between a 308 Win and 65CM I'd take the 65cm. To me that's what it replaces. Lighter recoiling and accurate. Allows newer and older shooters to enjoy and learn. It has more positives than negatives. Yes there are faster 6.5's, yes there are lighter recoiling rounds but this seems to hit a sweet spot.
No one said or will suggest it's the only rifle you need for all purposes. That rifle doesn't exist except for the person that only requires a rifle for a couple of things. It's why we have so many caliber to begin with. I would have Hunt with it, I'd compete in small bore competitions with it but there are better csrtridges. I'd plink steel out to 1200y and thats about it. No reason to knock it and no reason to say it's the end all be all of cartridges.
Anyway, just my 2 cents

I think for a bolt gun there are far better options. However where I think the Creedmore shines is in an AR10 plateform! Mutiple hits at a grand within seconds of each other, and i recomend JP for parts!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.