sale me on the 6.5 creedmore

Working towards getting 6.5 284 Norma built after months of procrastination. It seems as though there will always be something that comes along that is better whether it be a 22-250 or a 416 Rigby or anything in between. There are so many options out there today that it gets a little daunting for a guy like me that has shot out out of the box rifles for 50 yrs. to make a decision on what I want and what my expectations are of the caliber in re: what do I want to hunt with it. I came to the conclusion that as long as my expectations are realistic and the rifle is built properly and the loads are developed with the right components assuming I put the round through the boiler works then there aren't a whole lot of bad choices out there.

There's a smith in Montana who runs a creedmoor reamer deep enough to chamber a 260 rem round in it. Fireforms the 260 in it. I believe it has 56-57gr capacity. I'm wanting to try this as it may allow RL26 H1000 or N565 to really shine.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1606374098406.jpg
    FB_IMG_1606374098406.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 153
There's a smith in Montana who runs a creedmoor reamer deep enough to chamber a 260 rem round in it. Fireforms the 260 in it. I believe it has 56-57gr capacity. I'm wanting to try this as it may allow RL26 H1000 or N565 to really shine.
Interesting, in the fact that I am looking for a good smith due to the fact that mine retired.

Working towards getting 6.5 284 Norma built after months of procrastination. It seems as though there will always be something that comes along that is better whether it be a 22-250 or a 416 Rigby or anything in between. There are so many options out there today that it gets a little daunting for a guy like me that has shot out out of the box rifles for 50 yrs. to make a decision on what I want and what my expectations are of the caliber in re: what do I want to hunt with it. I came to the conclusion that as long as my expectations are realistic and the rifle is built properly and the loads are developed with the right components assuming I put the round through the boiler works then there aren't a whole lot of bad choices out there.
There aren't a whole lot of bad choices really as you mention but you've made a great choice the 65 284 Norma is my favorite caliber I've had one for many years

Attachments

• B9A7B622-8A50-42ED-8BF8-FBEDA182197F.jpeg
    B9A7B622-8A50-42ED-8BF8-FBEDA182197F.jpeg
    475.7 KB · Views: 114
So seems only thing in na gun magizine now days is 6.5 creedmore.Some hoe its the holy grail of guns. I am not knocking it. Just that looking at ballistic numbers I do not see it as any better rnd than a lot of older tried and true rounds. Give me your sells pitch.
"If" we stick to tried and true rounds only, it hinders innovation. Yes, I have a 6.5 CM (2008) and also nostalgic 6.5x55 (1894) and .264 WM (1959). I cannot imagine a good old American gun owner with only our venerable .30-06 Springfield (1906) or a .30-30 Win (1895), which I also own. "If" people cannot synthesize the information being presented, then there lies the problem.

I am not a salesman so I won't even try but here's my $20 6.5 CM TC Compass I won from a raffle (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/i-got-my-first-6-5-cm-for-20.201958/).

6.5 CM  TC Compass.jpg

6.5 CM deer season XP 3-shot at 200 yards.jpg

(3-shot group at 200 yards with factory ammo).

Last edited:
Hornady did a great job of researching and marketing this caliber. Barrels are twisted right and it's a low recoiling cartridge. Alot of fun and relatively inexpensive to shoot and has decent barrel life. I have one. Is it the greatest? Absolutely not. It serves a purpose and can teach about the wind at extended ranges like a 223 but further.

If I would have had it as choice when I bought my 260 I would have liked to think I would have chose it. However.......I would still have picked the 260 due to its parent case, I like cartridges in the 308 case family. Nothing wrong with a newer member in the 6.5 family but it didn't show me anything it would do better than the 260. Different strokes for different folks :) No elk up here but we have some big moose and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one with my 260, or a 6.5 CM if I owned one instead. Factory ammo favors the 6.5CM for sure............but no fun if you don't roll your own :)

There's a couple rounds out there that run similar ballistics. The creed is one of the more popular 6.5s in that category. Every single one of them out performs a slow 30 cal. with the exception of maybe energy on target at close range.

Interesting, in the fact that I am looking for a good smith due to the fact that mine retired.

Montana has no shortage of excellent and reputable gunsmiths. It just a matter of how far you are willing to travel. I have access to 6 smiths within an hour's drive, one of which is 2 miles from my house. My go-to gunsmith is 30 minutes out of town.

So seems only thing in na gun magizine now days is 6.5 creedmore.Some hoe its the holy grail of guns. I am not knocking it. Just that looking at ballistic numbers I do not see it as any better rnd than a lot of older tried and true rounds. Give me your sells pitch.
No way am I going to try to sell you on the Creedmoor. But you seem to already be sold on it or you wouldn't have posted the challenge. I'll try to talk you down off of that ledge.

When it comes to rifles, I've always been a man's man kind of man. First centerfire was a 30-06. I've shot 308 Winchesters, 32 Winchester Special, 45-70. Killed a few critters with 270 Winchester, 338 Win Mag, and a whole bunch with 270 WSM. Had a 300 Win Mag for a while. Sold it to a child last year.

Like you, the whole Creedmoor Craze rubbed me the wrong way. It always felt like someone tapping me on the shoulder and offering me a marijuana cigarette while smiling and telling me how great it is.

My young teenage son was whacking and stacking deer with a 357 Magnum Handi-rifle which is like a long barrelled pistol with a stock on it or short barrelled rifle or whatever the Tactikool Kids call them these days. And those tortoise-speed lumps of lead were going all the way through the deer. Anyway my son's pile of perforated deer made a light bulb go on in my head. "Hmmm...maybe I don't need to blow softball-sized exit holes in these critters to kill them!"

Then President Trump sent me a check and it all snowballed on me from there. Now I've got two of the crazy things. But I'm still not smoking the dope. Come to think of it, I might not be the best person to talk you out of a Creedmoor.

Attachments

• IMG_20201107_153319900_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201107_153319900_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts