Sako TRGS and .338 Lapua

ricciardelli

Remember those three Sierra 300-grainers I was rolling around in my hand awhile back?

Well, I stopped over and talked with the guy who gave them to me to see how he was doing with his Sako and .338 Lapua...

Sorry to say...not so good!

Seems he is now on his 5th Sako plastic stock! The previous 4 all broke in half at the pistol grip (and he was only using the Sierra 250's).

He is also concerned because he has gone through 3 Leupold "Tactical" MK III scopes. Seems the crosshairs keep breaking.

Is this a common experience by others?

McMillan will inlet any of their stocks to fit the sako action. He may want to give them a call.

As far as the scope goes, it's a good thing Leupold has a good warranty.
grin.gif
lol In all seriousness he may want to check out Nightforce or USoptics (mucho bucks).

Or just put a good muzzlebreak on to decrease the recoil, who knows it might even fix the problems he's having.

This guy seem pretty had on stuff. Three broken Mark IV's is probably a world record!!

I'll agree that the Sago TRG-S stock isn't the toughest on the market but breaking that many has got to be a user problem.

Do the stocks split lengthwise or is he snapping them off? If they're splitting lengthwise he's probably recoiling on the action screws and not the recoil lug. If he's snapping them off he must be holding onto that rifle for dear life and pushing and pulling in opposite directions.

P.S. Don't loan this guy any of your gear
grin.gif

sr90,

McMillan will not inlet for a Sako TRG-S action, only the 75 and AI-AIV (I just asked them last week).

Ricci,

I have not had a problem from my TRG-S stock (also a 338 Lapua). I don't like the design, MPI and David Lake will custom make stocks for them ($470-$600). As far as the scope, I have a Burris on mine (for 3 years) and never had a problem with it. I'd have to agree with Dave, it sounds like a user problem.

Jim

338Lapua
Really, that sucks! Did they say why?

I just called Robar and they said they would do it, you just have to buy either a SR90 stock or the SR60 stock, both stocks are excellent, but the SR60 stock is cheaper (I think it costs around 400.00 with bedding, don't quote me on that though).
They would probably do it on another McMillan stock that had not been inletted yet, if you can find one.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: sr90 ]

Just talked to him again.

Seems they were snapping off at the pistol grip. He was advised to tighten the recoil screw to 60 ft.lbs., so he did that.

He also found a "stockmaker" here in MT who evidently makes a real nice laminated wood stock for the TRGS, so that is his next move, after he gets it back from the smith who is installing a muzzle brake...

He really love the caliber and the rifle (when it is in one piece). Claims the 250's really reach out and touch prairie dogs out to around 1000 yards...

I think the muzzle brake will help....
338 lapua is a lot of gun to fire without one.

Happy Hunting

I have had no problems with my 338 Lapua and factory stock. Please pass on any info you can about a nice laminated stock for the TRG-S.

Matt

trg stock,
i just purchased the little trg42 in 300 win mag and was disappointed with the buttstock's spacer type adjustments. does anyone make a more user friendly adjustable stock somewhat like the psg1 fron hk?
thanks in advance
morgan in dallas

Just an observation, but 60 ftlbs seems awfully extreme for an action screw. 60 inlbs sounds more realistic. I am on the road and don't have access to my std practices manuals, but I want to say that 60 ftlbs is more suited towards a shank size of 1/2" or larger.. Think about it the torque on your lug nuts are typically 75-90 ftlbs.

Considering all Garrett & P&W hot sections I put together over the years, if I applied 60 ftlbs on a 1/4" shank case bolt I would have trashed alot of engines.

Sounds like (the above stocks) could be victim of compression stress fracture maximus.... But I could be mistaken...

Just a thought..

Nodak7mm

[ 09-21-2002: Message edited by: Nodak7mm ]

I have to agree with Nodak 60 foot pounds is far too much torque as is 60 inch pounds. Most factory stocks require about 20 to 30 inch pounds of torque. I would wonder about his loads as well as headspaceing. Sako builds a great product but still can have problems as any other manufacturer can. I would have the action checked for specification the consider having a recoil lug dovetailed into the barrel just ahead of the bump in the action that Sako claims is an adequate lug ,then have the stock pillar bedded, with proper torque applied to the action screws. I realize that torqueing a slot headed screw is not easy, the good folks at Brownells sell a set of allen key type replacement screws for under $10.00 that make torque easy

Hi, I like things that go bang. I know that this an old thread, very old, but I think an update is in order. I have fired my TRG-S several hundred times, and my stock is perfect. It actually leaves a lot to be desired for a sniper rifle, but it has not broken. I added a Holland muzzle brake after a few dozen rounds. Not the most accurate rifle in the world, but with some padding on the stock it shoots as well as I can hold. I also rebedded the lug after a couple hundred rounds. May, or may not have been necessary, but I think I sensed a little give in the stock. I did bend the pennies, and went for a Night Force scope, and I will never, ever go back.
So how does one break a stock, and scope with anything less than a 155mm?

I own an extremely accurate Sako TRGS in 30-378. I do believe the original stock is defective in materials selected. My rifle's stock has a crack horizontally across the stock where the front swivel is located. I linked this to installing a long Harris Bipod. I've used this same bi pod on several other rifles and have incurred no damage. I too am looking for a replacement target stock if anyone has a a link to a provider it would be greatly appreciated. I wonder if the pricey TRG stock would work as a drop in?? I know both the TRG and TRG S are based upon the same action.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.