Sako TRG-S 338 LM Twist Notice

Perkules

Just in case I´m not the only one:

Sako tells us the twist rate is 1/12". I have a stock rifle right here with a 1/10" barrel. I don´t know what to think except that this is a positive surprise, just about to try 300 MK:s on this one. Got everything except the bullets,they are crossing the pond at the moment.

The TRG-42 obviously has a 1/12" barrel... I found the site below and checked my TRG-S barrel tonight for fun... 1/10". Very funny indeed,I have only shot factory Scenars for several months, thinking this is a 1/12". Shoots them good but now I´m even more interested in trying 300 MK:s. Moose,you see.
smile.gif

Rifle Twist Rates

Never trusted manuals anyway lol.
grin.gif

HI
what kind of precision do you get out of your TRG-S?
woundering about bying one.. It`s a nice pice of rifle to build a long range rifle on (if McMillan has produced some stocks for it..)

I haven´t built any loads yet. With Lapua factory Scenars I´m quite confident at 500 yds,moose or deer. The factory brake is pretty good IMHO and the Scenars shoot approx. 5/8 MOA / five rounds using a Harris bipod if I do my part. The light barrel heats fast so grouping takes time and some fouling shots are needed before it settles down. I have a Sako Optilock scope mount,it seems to hold fine.

It is zeroed to 250 at the moment, 16 clicks takes it to 400 in my case and last tuesday I took a moose at 300 without problems. Not long range but 500 will be the max I´ll ever need over here.

Janne Pohjoispää at Vihtavuori has shot a 70mm (less than 3") five shot group at 700 meters two years ago using Lapua factory 250 Lock Base ammo and a stock TRG-S. I talked to him yesterday and was surprised it was not Scenar. I also have a friend who is a professional shooting trainer for LEO:s and military, he shoots clays at 800 meters for fun with a stock TRG-S and hits 3 out of 4 with factory Scenars.

A stock TRG-S is a poor man´s medium range rifle. It´s a lightweight hunting rifle after all.The brake makes a big difference,it is very easy to shoot and see your hits,the barrel doesn´t jump at all. I would not hesitate to re-stock this one, I do wish I had ordered the set trigger option but I didn´t know about it.
frown.gif

Anyway,I will report the 300 grain Matchking experiments when the boolits arrive.
smile.gif
I am hoping for a sub 1/2 MOA load for extra confidence... it may not be easy. Well, got some interesting accuracy load data from Sako test shooters for the SMK:s. Not for the max speed but that actually fits my medium range hunting purpose pretty good,considering the SMK behaviour at impact.

Another long post... I like this board,folks.

Please do keep us informed of your results. I had a friend who bought one of the first trg-s in 30-378. He decided that he liked his weatherby better,it was hevier and didn't kick so hard.He then sold it I wish I would of had the money at that time.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.