Sako TRG 22 in .308

Creed more- a guy here on az was shooting in his first ever long range match with a sako trg. in f-tr he shot against accuracy international and several other custom rifles and an array of savages. he won the f-tr. it was cool watching. he was nervous at first but settled in. i was shooting in f-class with my 6.5-284.

I was the range master at one of the long range groundhog matches 100-500 benchrest match for 10 years and a participant in them for almost 20 years...and as a result I got to see everything made by everyone on the planet under benchrest conditions. ALL of the TRG's that I got to see did not shoot any better than rifles that cost 20% of what they cost. And some of them cost even less than 10% of their cost and shot just as good. The only one I remember that was a great shooter was a rebarreled 6.5/284 that would hang with some of the lower end benchrest rigs. In my opinion they are not worth $3100 ... I never saw a factory TRG gun shoot less than 3-5 inch groups at 500 yards under benchrest conditions. Yes, they are more than good enough to kill any big game animal but lets not get carried away with how accurate they really are.. And you would be better served with lots of other factory rifles and save your hard earned cash... all of this based on what I saw with my own two eyes under benchrest match shooting conditions.

I was the range master at one of the long range groundhog matches 100-500 benchrest match for 10 years and a participant in them for almost 20 years...and as a result I got to see everything made by everyone on the planet under benchrest conditions. ALL of the TRG's that I got to see did not shoot any better than rifles that cost 20% of what they cost. And some of them cost even less than 10% of their cost and shot just as good. The only one I remember that was a great shooter was a rebarreled 6.5/284 that would hang with some of the lower end benchrest rigs. In my opinion they are not worth $3100 ... I never saw a factory TRG gun shoot less than 3-5 inch groups at 500 yards under benchrest conditions. Yes, they are more than good enough to kill any big game animal but lets not get carried away with how accurate they really are.. And you would be better served with lots of other factory rifles and save your hard earned cash... all of this based on what I saw with my own two eyes under benchrest match shooting conditions.

You saw some **** poor shooters. The gun is capable of 1/2 MOA beyond 1000 yds.

I think not, 1/2 a minute of angle at 500 yards would be slightly less than 2 1/2 inch 5 shot groups..I never saw any TRG that would do it.. I saw plenty of other $3000 rifles that had 5 shot groups at 500 around an inch or less for 5 shots..the question here is for the money are they worth $3000 plus dollars.. in my opinion they are not...you'd be better served at far less money to rebarrel an old action and put all the bells and whistles on it and save your money. I have no dog in this hunt only my opinion based on what I have observed.

I think not, 1/2 a minute of angle at 500 yards would be slightly less than 2 1/2 inch 5 shot groups..I never saw any TRG that would do it.. I saw plenty of other $3000 rifles that had 5 shot groups at 500 around an inch or less for 5 shots..the question here is for the money are they worth $3000 plus dollars.. in my opinion they are not...you'd be better served at far less money to rebarrel an old action and put all the bells and whistles on it and save your money. I have no dog in this hunt only my opinion based on what I have observed.

I don't have a dog in it either, but what you have observed is poor shooting. This is my last post in this thread. I just want the OP to know that the TRG is a 1/2 MOA rifle at 1000. The shooter may not be, but the rifle is for **** sure. This is a 42, but the 22 is just as accurate if not more.

Military .338 Lapua Magnum Rifles Compared, the SAKO TRG-42 and AI-AWSM

"For the last year, we have been shooting these rifles side by side at targets out to 1600 yards, with a keen interest to determine which rifle is more accurate. The summary is that they shoot basically the same. Both will shoot one-hole groups at 100 yards, and both can shoot sub-half-MOA at 1000 yards if the shooter knows what he's doing and conditions are favorable."

The TRG in this article shot 3 rounds into 3 inches at 940 yds.

Creedmoore- apology in advance is this is off topic. my experience with one TRG-308. the shooter had Never shot further than 100 yards. his trg was brand new. he came to the LR match with a card - it had the bullet's b.c., the velocity, and the ES (was 9)! he says "i have never shot before can you help me get on at 500" . my brother put it in his phone. told him how many clicks on his nightforce scope. the X on that target is 2.5 inches. he hit it with the FIRST shot! he went to win F-tr with a 576 out of 600. the 10 is 5". shooting off a bipod, 46 out 60 landed inside the 5" 10 ring. the gun was great , the scope great and the guy was meticulous in his loading and prep.

Creedmoore- apology in advance is this is off topic. my experience with one TRG-308. the shooter had Never shot further than 100 yards. his trg was brand new. he came to the LR match with a card - it had the bullet's b.c., the velocity, and the ES (was 9)! he says "i have never shot before can you help me get on at 500" . my brother put it in his phone. told him how many clicks on his nightforce scope. the X on that target is 2.5 inches. he hit it with the FIRST shot! he went to win F-tr with a 576 out of 600. the 10 is 5". shooting off a bipod, 46 out 60 landed inside the 5" 10 ring. the gun was great , the scope great and the guy was meticulous in his loading and prep.

That's awesome! I plan to reload for this caliber, since i already have all of the necessary equipment. I am a very meticulous person, espepecially when it comes to reloading, so i think i will have no trouble getting out to 500 and beyond

I do not think that your experience is typical. TRGs are known for being very easy to shoot well. My buddy shoots a Savage 7mm RM. It is a nice rifle and he shoots it very well. The first two FIVE shot 100 yard groups he fired with my 260 TRG measured .4 and .25 inches. He said that was way too easy and they were some of the best groups he had ever shot. This on an unfamiliar rifle and with a lower power scope with a thicker reticle than he normally shoots. My brother shot a 4 inch group at 1000 yards (in very good conditions) with it and it was his first time shooting over 200 yards. I have shot a 1.9 inch 3 shot group at 670 yards. 2 weekends ago I shot a prone rapid fire 3 inch 3 shot group (2 same spot and 1 flier) at 705 yards in 5-10 mph winds over a valley in mountainous terrain.

What makes TRGs so nice to shoot is the whole package. The stock is very comfortable, the trigger is the best I have pulled (I also have a Jewell on a Rem 700), the short 60 degree bolt throw is effortless to cycle, and it is a military grade rifle with excellent reliability. The rifle is also very easy to handle in improvised positions. Lighter than many builds, it feels really nice in the hand. The bipod is expensive but worth it in my opinion. When you total all the upgrades necessary for a 700 or Savage, you end up being not that far off in price. Also, you can order it today and be shooting it next week, not 6-12 months from now. I have never purchased any other rifle that I felt needed nothing upgraded, the TRG needs no mods.

Here is a video of my first group after zeroing the rifle and some shooting at 550 and just under 1000 yards.

[ame=http://vimeo.com/24227428]Sako TRG 22 Rifle in 260 Remington on Vimeo[/ame]

Not discounting your experience Frank, but it seems more atypical than typical. This from my personal experience and of those I have talked with and shot against at long range shooting comps.

TKAB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.