Sako S20?

Hoss50

Is anyone shooting one? Do you have any feedback on them? I saw one recently and even though I didn't need another rifle, I can't get it out of my head that I want one.

I really kinda want a 6.5prc or 7mm Rem Mag.

Thanks
Harley

Is anyone shooting one? Do you have any feedback on them? I saw one recently and even though I didn't need another rifle, I can't get it out of my head that I want one.

Thanks
Harleys p

Thanks
Harley
I picked up a S20 in 6.5 PRC this winter in the Precision stock configuration. I went with a Browning Recoil Hawg muzzle brake. I decided to handload the Hornady 147gr ELD-M over N568 with WLRM primers in New Lapua brass. This is basically all I could find.

The rifle shoots very "well" as in recoil and how it feels. Feeding rounds is smooth, no ejection problems, tested both the 3 and 6 round mags.

I wanted to run the Berger 156gr EOL but can't find any.

It shoots the 147s well though, I've proven the loads out to 875yds (furthest) my range goes to. Testing loads @ 113yds. These are the first rounds out of that rifle.

Attachments

• 20230113_204011.jpg
    20230113_204011.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 20230113_204052.jpg
    20230113_204052.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 145

Thanks
Harley
Nobody? Wow, I figured someone must have tried them. They seem like a pretty decent option for LRH.
Don't worry about what others think; get it if you want it to. SAKOs Like Tikkas are built well. I have a TRG-S M995 in .300 WM. The only thing with SAKOs is the lack of aftermarket support and sometimes a slower barrel twist. Mine was 1:11," but it is very accurate. The heaviest bullet for it is 190; still not a slouch.

I'm currently doing load development on a Sako S20 with 20" barrel in 7mm Rem Mag using the new Hornady 150gr CX bullets with Hornady's recommended seating of 3.250" COL. The action and trigger are very smooth as expected from Sako and Tikka. Accuracy is good (around plus or minus 1/2 MOA @ 100 yards) using 59.5 grains of IMR 4831 with Rem 9 1/2 LRM primers showing 2810 fps on the LabRadar. Took it to 62.0 grains of IMR 4831 and did not show pressure signs. However, this only took it to 2905 fps and opened up the group size to about 2 MOA. Going to do some work on varying seating depth at this higher charge weight but will likely stay where it likes it at 59.5 grains to extend the barrel life.

If I had any concern with the Sako S20, it would be with their composite stock and will likely be one of the first items to be upgraded.

I have one in 300 that seems to struggle for accuracy, been struggling to get Beretta to respond to have them look at it. Done all the usual things, checked all the torques, several match ammo options in light and heavy weights, different rests, shooters, changed to a proven optic/mount etc. etc. I've shoot two other 300 S20's at the range, one of them was a tack driver and fed fine, the other also struggled for accuracy and had feeding issues. The other issue I've had that you read about on various Euro forums where the S20 is more popular is that it sometimes refuses to pick up a cartridge from the mag, even inserted on an open bolt etc. Extended mags seem to work better than the 3rd. From what I've read the long actions seem to have more issues than the short versions. In fact someone even sells a mag mod kit to improve feeding, seems like the issue is that there the mag spring pressure is forward bias so the rear of the cartridge is not held all the way up, not sure I buy that I've inspected mine before putting a mag in and still had it refuse to pick up a round.

I prefer a two stage but it's a very nice single stage. The big weakness to me is the super cheap feeling noisy hard plastic stock. Mine creaks as you manipulate the rifles as the plastic parts move at the seams. Bolt is very smooth but I already had a TRG so that wasn't a surprise.

I shot a box of Hornday precision through a friend of mines. He.wanted.me.to mount the scope and get it dialed in. It was a 6.5 prc. Shot 1-1/2 moa so that wasn't impressive . I sure you can get it better with hand loads. The plastic stack is a no go for me but that's just my experience and opinion with a sample of 1.

Update, I bought a Sako S20 in 300 win mag. I will say I am very happy with the rifle. The stock may be a bit plasticy but it has a nice feel and I like the built in cheek riser.

I have not developed a load yet, but have started barrel break in and this rifle is awesome, especially with a big brake or suppressor. The recoil isn't bad as long as it is suppressed or has the brake.

I have bought a bunch of 208gr Berger 208gr LRHT bullets and I am impressed. I only have about 60rds thru the gun so far, but I loaded some of the bergers over some IMR 7828SC for break in. The rifle stacks bullets if you do your part. I had it out earlier this week and was stacking rounds at 200 yards. Then today for fun I tried a 100yrd group. Let's say I am OK with it. If this was pushing faster I would probably just leave it alone. These are only doing about 2700fps though.

Attachments

• 20230730_104303.jpg
    20230730_104303.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41