sako s20 300 win

t.a.p

I was trying to see if there were any reports out there on the accuracy of the Sako s20 in 300 win.

I have been shooting and hunting with my trg42 for almost 17 years now. It shoots 250 gr factory lapua scenars sub 1/2 moa with every 3 shot group to 1300 yards and I simply haven't been able to find a replacement rifle for it.

I've bought $7000 customs from weaver in colo springs, christensen, a few high end local customs in texas and many factory "shooters" over the years. None have impressed me and I ended up selling every single one for a loss within 6 months of receiving them.

Im in my mid 40's and have several broken discs in my back. Its getting harder and harder to tote around that 20lb trg on my pack hunts. Lets just say I desperately need a replacement. I love the forgiveness of my 338 lm when the wind gets me at long range since the sheer power of the scenar drops elk at 1300 yards with a far back shot.

For that reason I will never shoot a 6.5 or the lower end energy guns. however, I can load the 300 win to help me take kudu type game in some of the free range open areas I hunt in Africa out to 1000 yds. Yes, I wont shoot game over 1000 yards with a 300 win as my ballistic energy requirements I give myself don't let me take a shot unless I feel I can catch the same wind with the next shot and put the animal down. Some may ridicule my ethics but I have a solid long distance track record.

My only problem is that I'm tired of buying these guns, spending a few grand trying to work up a load, and then find out it struggles to hit 3/4 moa with the consistency I desire.

If I can find a load that religiously shoots 3/4 moa to 1k in the 300 win I would move to that platform quickly. I do believe the only build that might do it is a sako build. I've been shooting long range for a loooooong time and am at my witts end on all these custom builds. I just don't trust customs any more. Or maybe my TRG 42 in 338 lm has spoiled me. Who knows.

So to my original question. Does anyone have any info on the accuracy of the 300 win s20 even with the barrels twist rate? I would really appreciate any help before I go drop the money on the gun and another nightforce not to mention the money I will have to drop just to find powder and work up a load.

Thanks in advance guys.

No idea on the Sako, but I have had 6-7 Sakos in the last 40yrs and they all shot/shoot sub moa. My cousin and I both have .340 Wby's built by Rich Reilly at High Tech Custom Rifles in Colorado Springs. They both shoot sub 1/2" and I know mine will do that to 600yds all day with factory ammo (200, 210 and 250gr) and my cousin has his shooting sub .20 groups at 100 and 200yds with his hand loads. Mine also shoots Nosler 300gr LRABs really well (sub moa @ 100yds), but being a 7.25lb(with scope) mtn rifle, the 300s are painful. I also have a 300 Wby that Ritchie built for me and it too shoots under .5 moa and I know that out to 300yds and that too is with factory ammo - 165 and 180gr. His rifles are much less expensive (probably around half, maybe less) than Weavers/christensen and I have met many folks over the yrs that have them and they all love them. I've had my 340 for 24yrs and the 300 for 19. Key factor I think is the Lilja barrels he uses. Feel free to call me if you want more info. Charlie 303-912-8133

Personally I wouldn't be buying any factory rifle and expect reliable 1/2 MOA accuracy. A good high quality custom rifle is what you need and a lightweight one at that. You can have a sub 10lb rifle topped with a Nightforce ATACR and chambered in .300 Win Mag that can do everything you want and then some. You can have the stock, trigger, barrel, and twist rate you want without compromising. I understand you have bought other custom rifles in the past, but not all gunsmiths and rifle builders are created equal.

Have you considered morphing your TRG into a lighter platform? Lighter barrel contour and shorter, lightening the spine by removing material or having a magnesium spine custom built and perhaps a lighter scope (I have no idea what scope you're using now) to achieve the same ergonomics and functionality in a 11-12# package?

The Sako S20 appears to be the easy button though....

Believe it or not, I know several people with new (in the last yr or two) WBY Vanguards, Tikkas and Browning X-bolts (including mine) that are sub 1/2 moa and one of those Vanguards a 300 Wby and a 270 WSM X-bolt are sub .25 moa. And I have personal experience and several friends with each over the last 10yrs and all report 1/2 moa or better. For the money, they are very hard to beat. I love Sakos, but so does Sako $$$$$. :p

I'm not saying factory rifles aren't capable of sub 1/2 MOA groups. I'm saying you can't expect them to do that. It's the exception not the rule. I have had and have a lot of experience with very accurate factory rifles. I also have had and have a lot of experience with picky or inaccurate factory rifles. If you want high quality and guaranteed performance then a custom rifle is the only want to go.

my experience is this. When i was 8 i saved up and bought my first rifle for mule deer. it was a remington 700 bdl in 222. My dad taught me to fill the brass up with blc2, wipe the excess off the top and seat a 50 grain matchking. I topped it with a $25 k-mart bushnell and that gun shot one hold 5 shot groups all day long. I had a few rifles like that back in the day. when I got older and more successful I started buying into all the fancy new fad calibers and custom gun builds etc.

I can honestly say that nothing shot like my 222. I also had a blaser r8 in 300 wby mag that would shoot sub 3/4 all day long with every round under 4 shots due to heat obviously.

I don't like to say much on public forums as everyone is an expert it seems and when you get down to the "meat and taters" of their knowledge I find their really not that experienced.

I won't go into my back ground as no one cares but I will say that I like to believe I learned one or two things after I graduated from kindergarten and married my cousin bessie.

I may very well call 340 wby simply because you sound pretty humble. However, I think I will have to choose my 460 wby over your 340 wby. man is my 460 a tack driver and man does it hit hard!

Also, Im not skeerd of recoil. I just had my should rebuilded last year so im good to go in that department for another 20 years.

one last note...... all my rifles get either zeiss conquest, nightforce NXS, or schmidt and bender scopes.

Believe it or not, I know several people with new (in the last yr or two) WBY Vanguards, Tikkas and Browning X-bolts (including mine) that are sub 1/2 moa and one of those Vanguards a 300 Wby and a 270 WSM X-bolt are sub .25 moa. And I have personal experience and several friends with each over the last 10yrs and all report 1/2 moa or better. For the money, they are very hard to beat. I love Sakos, but so does Sako $$$$$. :p
I bought my wife a tikka lite in 308 two years ago when she drew her oryx tag. It was ok but I was expecting 1/2 moa. I didn't reload for it however. but I have been a fan of the tikkas. In my defense I've only owned 2 sako's. when I saw how insanely my factory trg was I bought a second one and it shot just as well. Thats why im looking at the s20. I'm hoping all sako's are as accurate and at $1600 thats pretty cheap considering sako is so proud of their product as mentioned above. Hopefully, with any luck in the draws I will be back up in the hills overlooking colorado springs hunting muleys again this fall.

I'm actually wondering if the TRG has any advantages over the S-20. Even a used TRG is much more than the S-20.

I was trying to see if there were any reports out there on the accuracy of the Sako s20 in 300 win.

I have been shooting and hunting with my trg42 for almost 17 years now. It shoots 250 gr factory lapua scenars sub 1/2 moa with every 3 shot group to 1300 yards and I simply haven't been able to find a replacement rifle for it.

I've bought $7000 customs from weaver in colo springs, christensen, a few high end local customs in texas and many factory "shooters" over the years. None have impressed me and I ended up selling every single one for a loss within 6 months of receiving them.

Im in my mid 40's and have several broken discs in my back. Its getting harder and harder to tote around that 20lb trg on my pack hunts. Lets just say I desperately need a replacement. I love the forgiveness of my 338 lm when the wind gets me at long range since the sheer power of the scenar drops elk at 1300 yards with a far back shot.

For that reason I will never shoot a 6.5 or the lower end energy guns. however, I can load the 300 win to help me take kudu type game in some of the free range open areas I hunt in Africa out to 1000 yds. Yes, I wont shoot game over 1000 yards with a 300 win as my ballistic energy requirements I give myself don't let me take a shot unless I feel I can catch the same wind with the next shot and put the animal down. Some may ridicule my ethics but I have a solid long distance track record.

My only problem is that I'm tired of buying these guns, spending a few grand trying to work up a load, and then find out it struggles to hit 3/4 moa with the consistency I desire.

If I can find a load that religiously shoots 3/4 moa to 1k in the 300 win I would move to that platform quickly. I do believe the only build that might do it is a sako build. I've been shooting long range for a loooooong time and am at my witts end on all these custom builds. I just don't trust customs any more. Or maybe my TRG 42 in 338 lm has spoiled me. Who knows.

So to my original question. Does anyone have any info on the accuracy of the 300 win s20 even with the barrels twist rate? I would really appreciate any help before I go drop the money on the gun and another nightforce not to mention the money I will have to drop just to find powder and work up a load.

Thanks in advance guys.
I bought a S20 in 300 wm. Topped it with a Zeiss 4, 4×16×44.
loaded 200 gr eldx.
shot sub moa at 200yds.
- 525 yds shot 4.5" 3 shot group. I have not shot any longer distance yet.....waiting for some warmer weather.
hope this helps

I am getting pretty consistent .325 groups with Berger 205 Elite Hunters at 100 yds in my Sako S20 300 win mag. Have Cortina NextGen muzzle brake. Right at 2800fps, but really good groups. Also shot Hammer 196gr bullets at .329 groups. Really can't complain about the Sako as it is a 1/3 MOA factory rifle for me.