SAKO S20 - 300 Win Mag. Info on "cartridge+" meaning

Thanks for sharing this, and for all the great range info. I still haven't got my S20 300 win mag down to the range yet, but my terminator TS muzzle break has finally arrived. And Burris HD signature 5-25 x 50 ready to be fitted. Have some 205 EHs prepped, similar H1000 loads to yours inside Hornady cases with FC 215 primers. Will post some results and pics when I finally get to the range!

Great and detailed report. Interesting findings.

One other quick question/note, I think that you said in an earlier post that you had verified that this actually has a 10 twist, rather than the 11 that was advertised, right?
Can confirm that. My S20 300 win mag has 10" marked on the barrel, which I'm pretty sure is the twist.

Does the mag allow you to seat the bullets out to desired length? I looked at one in 6.5 PRC and it did, just not sure about the longer 300WM.
Just under 3.6" max COAL for long action.

Can't reach the lands with the 205's or 215's.

I just ran the COAL with a 230 Hybrid OTM. That one gets pretty close to the lands, at magazine length. I jammed it into the lands at 3.6465" COAL (jammed = stuck in lands).

I have a 210 VLD (hunting version) here somewhere. I'll get a COAL for that one if I can dig it up.

Last edited:
Berger 210 HVLD update:
I'm barely feeling the bullet contact the lands at 3.592" COAL.
The bullet comes out with the Hornady tool at this measurement
*3.592" does fit in the magazine.
You could do recommended seating depth test with this bullet (below).

By applying a bit more pressure, I got the bullet stuck into the lands at 3.607".
*bullet stuck in lands = I get out by hitting butt of stock on counter to dislodge (muzzle pointed up)

Berger VLD test recommendations.
Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a hunter (pulling a bullet out of the case with your rifling while in the field can be a hunt ending event which must be avoided) or a competition shooter who worries about pulling a bullet during a match:
1. .010 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
2. .050 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
3. .090 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
4. .130 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

The 205 Elite Hunter, 215 Hybrid, and 230 Hybrid OTM bullets I'm interested in are "Hybrid." They're supposed to be more jump tolerant than a VLD, "in most cases"

This is a work-in-progress. Stay tuned for pictures and more details. PM me with any questions.

Sako S20 Precision - 300 Win Mag

• Manufacturer: Sako
  • Type: Bolt-action repeater
  • Caliber: 300 Win Mag
  • Magazine Capacity:
    • Standard: 3 round magnum or (5 round non magnum)
    • Optional: 7 round for Magnum (10 round non magnum)
    • *Mine came with the "optional" larger, 7 round, magazine
  • Barrel: 24 in. - ⅝-24 Threaded Barrel
  • Overall Length: 45 to 45.5 in.
  • Weight, Empty (with magazine): 8.38 lbs.
  • Stock: Composite-clad aluminum chassis
  • Length of Pull: 13.75 to 14.25 in.
  • Finish: Gray Cerakote on stainless barrel and action
  • Sights: None; integral Picatinny rail - 0 MOA
  • Safety: Two position
  • MSRP: $1,700 (Hunter), $1,800 (Precision)

Extra Details:
  • "Cartridge+" Magazine - Max COAL: Just under 3.61"
  • Short action vs. long action models: They all seem to be built on long actions (think Tikka). Short actions cartridges have a spacer built into the magazine. *See image of 300 Win vs. 6.5 PRC magazine (post #3)

Potential/obvious/glaring negatives worth mentioning:
  • Twist rate: 1:11 for 300 Win? 1:9 or 1:8 would have been a better choice (1:10 at minimum). I few forum posts suggest it's actually a 1:10 twist but even SAKO says it's 1:11.
  • "Cartrdige+": - zero info on what that means online. Probably because at 3.6" for a long action, it's just standard. Short action magazine looks promising, but I didn't have calipers to measure. Short actions are right at, to just a hair over, 3" according to a youtube video I saw.
  • 0 MOA integral rail: Come on, 20 MOA just makes sense. Not impossible to remedy but narrows down my mounting options if I decide I "need" 20 MOA.
  • 24" barrel: I'm good with it but I know many like 26"+. I have a suppressor I plan on running: TBAC338 Ultra. It's very large (not heavy but large).

Components I plan to use (have procured already):
  • Bullet: Berger 205 Elite Hunter- 1:11 Barrel twist, Higher BC then 210, probably easier to "tune."
    • 215 would work at 6,000+ feet but I live and shoot around the 2,700 - 2,800 feet
    • Might even try out something as light as the 180gr Elite Hunters
  • Powder: H1000
  • Primers: Federal 215M
  • Brass:Peterson 300 Win Mag "Long" Brass
    • *I have a backorder placed on the new Lapua 300 Win Mag Brass (New 2021 Offering)

Scope (TBD):
The newer Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 is interesting for a budget scope. Thinking about an NX8 if I can hold out long enough and save up the pennies. Maybe an Athlon?

Barrel break-in: SAKO States NO barrel break-in needed on their Cold Hammer Forged (CHF) barrels.

"All Sako rifles, including the Sako S20, feature match-grade cold hammer forged barrels. There are many advantages to cold hammer forged (CHF) barrels: they're durable, accurate and have excellent tolerances. The cold hammer forging technique changes the structure of the steel, increasing its toughness and making the barrel life of your rifle longer. CHF barrels do not have to be broken in, but instead have superb out-of-the-box accuracy."

Source: https://www.sako.fi/s20-cold-hammer-forged-barrel

I still plan on doing a thorough cleaning before any shots are fired and at least a couple shoot-and-clean cycles (1 shot, clean, repeat).

Time-Line: No plans on getting out and shooting any time soon. Winter, Kids, Christmas, birthdays, blown 2020 budget, new 2021 budgets in place…

I don't have a scope for this rifle and hope to hold out for an NX8.
I have seen a couple of reviews on the S20 would be interested in what kind of accuracy you get. Always been a Sako fan.

Interested to see the accuracy you're experiencing.
I'll try and get some updates and pictures up. I'm right at 120 rounds down the barrel, so I feel the real load development can begin. Work and life just gets in the way.

So far, I've put:
  • 215 Hybrids w/ H1000 (see page 3)
  • 205 Elite Hunters w/ H1000 (see page 3)
  • 230 Hybrid OTM's w/ H1000, N568, and Ramshot LRT

I've identified some good velocity nodes with all of the above combo's and just need to get back out and do some final testing. I'd say the the 230's and N568 would be the easy button. If I can just keep the nut behind the trigger in check, easily going to 1/2 MOA or better.

H1000 and N568 are showing velocity and accuracy nodes at near the exact same FPS (around 2750). The N568 takes a few more grains of powder to get the same FPS but it's proving to be the most accurate in early testing.

Ramshot LRT gets the 230's moving. It adds about 100 FPS over the other two powders. I'll be investigating a load that was about 2850 FPS

I have about 750 more 230 OTM's, so I believe that will be my main focus until I can procure some 205's and 215's. Since hunting season is upon us, I've been sharing the 205's and 215's with those in need, so I don't have a good enough stash right now to go much further with either.

Were you able to get 20 MOA with these mounts? I have the Eotech and am almost ready to get my Sako S20. Also a newbie.
No, they're zero MOA. Scope would easily get over 1000 yards with zero MOA.

The Sako S20 20 MOA rail is finally available and in-stock right now. I picked one up a couple weeks ago. I'd snag one of those ASAP. It's a very nice setup.

I'm switching things up on the rifle. I just mounted a Nightforce ATACR on it. It's actually in a one piece mount I found recently that comes with 20 MOA built in.

Last edited:
No, they're zero MOA. Scope would easily get over 1000 yards with zero MOA.

The Sako S20 20 MOA rail is finally available and in-stock right now. I picked one up a couple weeks ago. I'd snag one of those ASAP. It's a very nice setup.

I'm switching things up on the rifle. I just mounted a Nightforce ATACR on it. It's actually in a one piece mount I found recently that comes with 20 MOA built in.

Great post. I've read through it a few times 😉