Sako Optilock scope mount

hopperdamage

Have a Sako 75 Finn-lite in 30:06 on layaway at a local sporting goods store. The price was really great and rifle really felt good in my hands. I purchased a Pentax 4.5-14 50mm AO white tail hunter rifle scope for it. Another good deal. I am a bargen hunter too! Now I need to find ring mounts for it. The Sako web site featured their Optilock rings. They look nice. I don't even know where o get them. Any other ideas for other than Sako rings? Thanks for any responces. This is my first post here.

I used to be a fan but not anymore. STAY AWAY. I have now stripped 2 sets of scres because the yuse cheap, soft hex head screws instead of torx screws. i owuld buy tally or conetrol

Dude... welcome to the forum... I recently installed a set of Leupold dovetail rings which I purchased from www.midwayusa.com for $45 (since you're a self-proclaimed bargain hunter)... they seem ok, haven't had a chance to shoot under them yet; also, don't know if you're aware of this but there is a recall on some stainless Sakos... better call the Sako hotline to see if your rifle is included (you'll need the serial number)... some rifles have "blown up" - wasn't a pretty picture... not trying to worry you but just something you might want to know "before buying"... they are replacing the rifles but why go through that if you can find one that's not included... just in case this deal falls through, check out the prices on www.gunsamerica.com if you haven't already... hope this helps...

Dude ,
I just answered this in another post but I have 2 sako's and the slickest strongest and most secure set up I have found is the burris dual dove tail bases with burris signature rings. I am a huge Leupold fan but there set up suck's for sako ,use burris base and rings with leupold scope

The real gripe I have with Opti Locs is, they are not worth the money, IMO.
As mentioned above, stripped out ALLEN HEAD screws, even the low rings are very high making a good cheek weld hard to get, the price, etc.

I also ran Leupold rings on my Sako, and I liked them.
For the money, they outperformed the Opti's by giving me a perfect cheek weld, didnt leave ring marks like the Talley's, and after I took the scope off, would return to within 1/4 moa POI. Not bad for $50 bucks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Conetrols are my new choice now days. Outstanding machine work. Tactical setups, I go with Badger Ord....YMMV..sakofan..

[ QUOTE ]
Dude... welcome to the forum... I recently installed a set of Leupold dovetail rings which I purchased from www.midwayusa.com for $45 (since you're a self-proclaimed bargain hunter)... they seem ok, haven't had a chance to shoot under them yet; also, don't know if you're aware of this but there is a recall on some stainless Sakos... better call the Sako hotline to see if your rifle is included (you'll need the serial number)... some rifles have "blown up" - wasn't a pretty picture... not trying to worry you but just something you might want to know "before buying"... they are replacing the rifles but why go through that if you can find one that's not included... just in case this deal falls through, check out the prices on www.gunsamerica.com if you haven't already... hope this helps...

[/ QUOTE ]

found it on another forum. It's 800-503-8869. It's a recall hot line. Apparently it is on guns purchased after Feb. 04. I left a message on their voice mail. I also found another post with a range of the serial numbers, the rifle I have a question about looks like it was a gun made before the problem of barrel blow ups. Apparently caused by metrology problems with the metal used to make the barrel. A site by the name accutatereloading.com has a good amount of information on this, none of it from Berretta USA. On of the posts has pictures of a gun blown up owned by one of the members there. I have a new SAKO 75 Finn-light on layaway. The price was very good, maybe I know why now.

Dude... also, in case you're not aware... Sako used a "long action" for the WSM chamberings originally, but they now advertise a new "SM" action just for these rounds...in the long action the bolt travel would be unnecessarily long and would feel "un-cool", before picking up the next cartridge... probably no big deal but it seems better to use the action designed for the cartridge, especially in a repeater magazine...just more info to "agonize over"...hope this helps

Dude... sorry about that last post... I was thinking you said "300 WSM"... but I see you have a 30-06; so the action length issue is not relevant for you... thanks

[ QUOTE ]
Dude... sorry about that last post... I was thinking you said "300 WSM"... but I see you have a 30-06; so the action length issue is not relevant for you... thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
I plan on picking up a Sako 75 Walnut in 300 Win Mag to replace a browning rifle I sold. It seems everyone is into the short magnum thing now. I have brass, reloading dies and ammo for 4 calibers that don't own right now,for rifles that I sold or traded Including a 300 win mag. I talked to a sales man where I'm getting my Finn-light and he said they had all ready went through their inventory and had 4 out of the 40 Tikka rifles they had in stock get sent back. They only had a handfull of the Sako rifles and they were all marked down to clearance prices. I found a list of serial numbers on another web site and it looks like my Finn-light was made before the rifles affected by the recall. I never owned a Sako before, I never even looked at them, thought they were over priced. If they can shoot as well as advertised I will be very happy. If I can't get a rifle to shoot well, I won't keep it.

Sako's overpriced?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Not hardly!!
Sako's are the best "out of the box" hunting rifle's in the world.

A Weatherby rifle. Now that's overpriced!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif..I remain sakofan..

[ QUOTE ]

A Weatherby rifle. Now that's overpriced!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif..I remain sakofan..

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure glad to here that Sako's are the best! I have two on layaway now. A 75 Finn-light in 30-06 and a 75 Walnut in 300 Win Mag. Both new, I'm paying $750 for the 06 and 800 for the Win Mag. This I've the most I've paid for any rifle with the exception of my AR10. The orignal prices were 1250 and 1000. I guess I can justify the purchase by the savings over the orignal price and that I'll most probably never find prices like that again (the value of the dollar keeps dropping ). I've seen used 75's priced over $1000. As far as Weatherby's I found that they vary quite a bit in price. The same place had a bunch of Weatherby's for $399. They had another Weatherby model for 1500. They are ugly, the 399 guns. Crude black plastic stock and dull matt finish on the rest of the gun. I think Walmart sells Weatherby too. Walmart isn't into the high end stuff. I was very dissapointed in my last Browning rifle. Are Browning's over priced?

Well, in all fairness to Weatherby, the rifles at Walmart or the $399.00 rifles, are made by Howa.
Not real deal Weatherbys.

I had a Sako .300 Win mag 75, SS and wished I had never sold it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
The walnut 75 you are getting is beautiful!! Lucky guy..sakofan...Be sure to look at other options of mounts, rather than jumping on the Opti Locs. I just didnt like them, YMMV.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, in all fairness to Weatherby, the rifles at Walmart or the $399.00 rifles, are made by Howa.
Not real deal Weatherbys.

I had a Sako .300 Win mag 75, SS and wished I had never sold it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
The walnut 75 you are getting is beautiful!! Lucky guy..sakofan...Be sure to look at other options of mounts, rather than jumping on the Opti Locs. I just didnt like them, YMMV.

[/ QUOTE ]
brianb posted this:
Dude ,
I just answered this in another post but I have 2 sako's and the slickest strongest and most secure set up I have found is the burris dual dove tail bases with burris signature rings. I am a huge Leupold fan but there set up suck's for sako ,use burris base and rings with leupold scope
My post now:

I think I'll try the burris dual dove tail bases with burris signature rings like brian suggested. Hopefully I won't have a problem with windage adjustment. I had a problem once with a model 70 and a leupold 12X scope. I think the receiver was tapped off center, with the dual dovetail the scope is the only windage adjustment and I did not have enough adjustment on the scope. I had to go back to a standard base and rings. I've avoided using a dual dove tail since then. I'm going to give it a try. I'm sure glad I found this web site, I could have spent a lot more money on something that isn't worth it (Optilock mount). Thanks for all the good information.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN

Dude,
That is the awesome thing about the Burris dual dove tail signature rings you dont need to worry about windage ,they make 5,10 and 20 moa inserts so you can get your scope straight on the gun and just use your scope for fine ajustments.
I use my rear ring for windage and if you want some added elevation for the long shot put an insert in the front ring for up to 20 moa elevation.
your rings have 100%grip and no marks left behind,one of the true win ,win deals you'll find.
B

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.