Sako M995 stock

Pacific tool & gauge is making bottom metals for the 995's... if your smith is up to it you can make a sako 85 inlet work for a 995 by layering bedding to match the 995. Fairly involved job, but it can be done. Two here at our place have been built on sako 85-inletted stocks.. we used MPI silhouette thumbhole stocks specifically. They're excellent. Shaved approx. 1.5lbs off the overall weight as well, much nicer to carry!

Regarding different magazines, a 5-shot TRG-42 mag will work with a bit of tuning... (they) latch on the back side of the magazine, 995 latches on the front.. what I did was measure/mark the spot of the latch (onto the -42 mag) then drill a centered-hole in that spot just big enuf to get a (small) triangle file inside, much like a guy uses to sharpen fish-hooks* Then used that to file the corners and form that drill-hole into a square to match the size for that latch..

I should mention, a TRG-42 mag costs a pretty penny.. but IF you absolutely must have a new mag or "want" 5-shot capability, it's about the only option there is.

Old post, but do have any additional info to share on the 85-stock-to-a-995? Were the stocks inletted for the L-lenght action and what steps had to be taken to accommodate the 995 action? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Pacific tool & gauge is making bottom metals for the 995's... if your smith is up to it you can make a sako 85 inlet work for a 995 by layering bedding to match the 995. Fairly involved job, but it can be done. Two here at our place have been built on sako 85-inletted stocks.. we used MPI silhouette thumbhole stocks specifically. They're excellent. Shaved approx. 1.5lbs off the overall weight as well, much nicer to carry!

Regarding different magazines, a 5-shot TRG-42 mag will work with a bit of tuning... (they) latch on the back side of the magazine, 995 latches on the front.. what I did was measure/mark the spot of the latch (onto the -42 mag) then drill a centered-hole in that spot just big enuf to get a (small) triangle file inside, much like a guy uses to sharpen fish-hooks* Then used that to file the corners and form that drill-hole into a square to match the size for that latch..

I should mention, a TRG-42 mag costs a pretty penny.. but IF you absolutely must have a new mag or "want" 5-shot capability, it's about the only option there is.
Any pictures of the sako 85 before and after showing inlet

Any pictures of the sako 85 before and after showing inlet
I apologize for the slow response guys.. from 2017 (lol) I don't get on here often anymore

I do not have inlet pictures though no, lots of pics with kills since but the rifle is in-tact & I'm not splitting it just to take pictures. Sorry there too. But my brother & I still shoot them religiously after all these years... they're still going strong. When I did have it apart years ago though, it looked exactly the same as the factory 995 inlet, just made up with bedding & pillars. The guys trick to stiffening the for-ends on those stocks was to open them up and bed an arrow shaft & somewhere or other aluminum. That-part done for rigidity. (But) that's covered & buried and you wouldn't see it even if I did have the action pulled out for a picture. Anyway.

Here's a bull moose from this past fall.. @525yards with mine. My stock is the wider fore-ended -85 MPI, and my brothers was done on their narrower fore-ended -85 version. Both stocks were opened up the same time side x side and rebuilt layering bedding bit by bit shaping and forming to a custom inlet that fit the 995 footprint though. That's a fact. I still have the MPI sticker someplace that came off my own stock from bran-new that is stamped Sako-85. So same as I said before, all those years ago, it's absolutely doable if your smith is handy & is willing. And they will stand up to horses knockin them around in scabbards, backpack hunts, falls, or beatings just as well as the best of them can. But it's an undertaking.

Guy hears the Cold dead hands comment too often, but to echo it one more time, my 995 will definitely have to be pried from my cold dead hands after I'm long dead to ever go anyplace but with me.. it still holds its own with the best of today's new rifles. And we all know there's some dandy stuff being manufactured these days.

IMG_6001.jpeg

Last edited:
About a decade ago i bought a 995 actioned rifle with a Mc Millan stock that had been owned by a well known 1000 yd benchrest shooter who had died.
The barrel was shot out, and i bought it for $1000.
Bruce Baer rebarreled it in 338x378, and my son still uses it for the longer shots.
Its just set up as a single shot gun, same as when i bought it.