Sako Finnlight?

YZ-80

Hi all,

My son keeps wanting to use my Wby. Altitude and that's got me looking for another light-weight production rifle for walking Varmint/deer duty. I've always liked Sako but have also looked at Howa/Vanguard, Browning X-bolt, Mesa, Tikka, etc. I keep coming back to the Sako because I like the build quality and the triggers. You can get a set trigger and some of them come with threaded barrels. Caliber? I'm all over the map. I'm considering .243, 6.5 Crdm, 7mm-08, even 25-06 (though I'm a bit concerned about the 22.5" barrel length they offer in .25-06). I'm a hand loader, so I'm confident I can tune a load for the rifle but wondered if this is a good choice. So, if you have a Finnlight (not a Finnlight 2) how do you like it? Is it a good choice?

I love my sako rifles. Have a 75 and 3 of the 85's. I have a finnlight which I bought as a 300 win mag and never fired until I had it rechambered to a 300 Dakota. It was amazing how such a lightweight rifle shot that hefty round so accurately. I would say you will have no regrets getting one.

I have to say the Finnlight is very accurate, but one of the worst rifles I've ever shot for felt recoil. I much prefer my A7 in 7mm-08 then the 243 or 270 Finnlights that I have access to. They are both way heavier recoiling the my Kimber Montana 308. From what I can tell, when the stock fits, it is fantastic, but if it doesn't, look out.

I have to say the Finnlight is very accurate, but one of the worst rifles I've ever shot for felt recoil. I much prefer my A7 in 7mm-08 then the 243 or 270 Finnlights that I have access to. They are both way heavier recoiling the my Kimber Montana 308. From what I can tell, when the stock fits, it is fantastic, but if it doesn't, look out.
As far as felt recoil I would say it's due to the most dense rubber known to man! they claim its a recoil pad! I had to put a limb saver on mine which was prefit and I was surprised how well it does align. Super easy and helped a ton.

Thank you for this feedback. Recoil is an important consideration and you may have just alerted me to a deal
Killer!

For the calibers you are considering recoil will not really be a factor, especially if you follow the suggestion of replacing the recoil pad.
Good luck,
deepwater

I shoot my 85 Finnlight 300 wsm better than I thought I could shoot any rifle. I can get about 1-1/2" group off shooting sticks and a 1" off a boulder at 100 yd.

Personal preference - I do not like soft rubber pads. They feel funny and stick to loose clothing when I'm setting my shoulder. I have a brake so recoil is no issue. I hunt with ear protection in the left ear though.

I use the set trigger at the range and I really like the option of using it when I have a solid rest while hunting. Shooting sticks - usually no set trigger. Prone off backpack with time to set-in and relax - set the trigger, hold the crosshairs, and just think about squeezing.

I hope it goes without saying, but you need to be sure to practice a LOT with the set trigger before you try to take an animal with it. When I'm hunting I take several dry-fires with it before I load the chamber.

And the more I work and use the Sako, the more the quality impresses me. A Tikka is a VW, well made, respectable, good factory QC, good designs, dependable, great dollar value. Sako is an Audi, everything the VW has with extra quality in all components.

The only thing I don't like is the rubber inserts in the stock. The stock is actually quite well made, feels good in the hands, and cheek is OK. Why did they think they had to ruin the stock with those silly glued in rubber grip styling thingies? Those are just stupid. And they only offer it that way, so I'm looking for aftermarket stocks.

Tikka is easier to find aftermarket components (stock, etc) than Sako.

I like my Finnlight I so well that I just bought a Finnlight II. But I'm a little disappointed with my decision to I spend the extra $$ for the II. I wanted the reduced rubber styling and adjustable cheek, which is nice but I probably could have done that with a pad. Other than that there is no difference from the I but the added useless cerakote.

Before I bought it, I tried to buy a Finnlight II stock to put on my Finnlight I, but Beretta will not sell me one.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.