Sako finnbear 270

surjimmy

I just traded into this rifle, I hunt with a Tikka and love it. What I was wondering is can anyone tell me about this gun? I have always wanted a Sako, but have never shot one. Any and all info would be helpful. What's the best bullet grain, brand to shoot from it? I don't reload so it would have to be factory ammo in a 270 caliber.

the sakos i have/had have been exceptional. none were a .270 and i have very little experience loading for that caliber. roninflag

Can tell you a little bit about the 270 Win. In my experience excellent cartridge for deer sized animals. I have killed eleven whitetail bucks with mine, and all of them have been very clean kills, the one that has runned the farthest has been 20 or 30 yards. Shooting 130 grains bullets is really effective for short ranges, up to 300 yards. If you want to shoot long ranges, you might consider start reloading and using bullets with a higher BC, like bergers VLDs, in 140 or 150 grains. I have had good results also with the Hornadys SST 150 grains.
The last factory ammo that I used that I liked was Winchester Supreme E-tip in 130 grains, after that has all been handloaded.
I have only heard good coments on SAKO rifles!!!
Hope this helps. Good luck with yours.

I have a SAKO Finnbear (Hunter AV) in my rack.
Iv'e had it for 20 years and shot dozens of Red Deer, Chamios,and
Thar with it and all one shot kills bar one.

It's fitted with a 2.5-8X Leupold and will shoot .7- 1 MOA all day with
56gns of IMR 4350 and a 150gn Sierra spitzer boattail seated on the lands
with NORMA brass.
All of the above animals were shot with this load at ranges from 20-400yds.

It's truly a great hunting rifle.

Greg

gun)I own a sako 270, best gun I ever owned. If you want to reload for it I would suggest 40 grains of IMR 3031, and a 160 grain Nosler Partition bullet. That makes for a great deer and boar cartridge, and trust me it will knock them down likity split. Hope this helps...

Dont own a SAKO, but the only Finnbear Ive ever shot was a 7mag, and it was a tack driver. Whatever you traded for it, you came out way ahead! Congrats!!

I have many Sakos, collected and hunted with them for years, but have lost interest. I have two .270's for sale, L61R, one a Deluxe, the other standard, if interested, PM me.

This older thread:-

but to indicate the world rep. on this 270 WIN finnbear Sako I too got one on a deal at least 8 years back and thought would have to rebarrel. Sako and this chamber are widely used here in New Zealand as we have had mainly Japanese red deer population always verging on excess for since well before my father's time -(1920-1930).
So the ugly looking paint job on this example did not put me off. As soon as i got the ballistics i found this well used high pressure barrel was still good enough for range shooting let alone mountain thar in our southern alps. Like the other posters say its a tack driver --and i have only trialled on factory Winchester 130 and Remington core-lokt same weight so far.

One tip from an experienced gun smith helps keep those lands clean --antifoulling barellcleaner(such as your USA Hoppe's no9) on a pullthough cloth can be left over a couple of days with barrel pointing down on a white card --green stain may appear on the card indicating copper foulling coming out.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.