Sako fans , advice for 300 LR build.

Airgunner7

I'm a huge fan of Sakos and want to build a custom 300 WM or 300 RUM long range beast. I'm familiar with my 270 AV but am unsure of what action is best/strongest. I've been told the 75 action is good as well.

I picked the bullets first....Berger 210/208 Amax. Both should work well for LR.

So this is what I'm thinking

Sako action AV or 75
28-30" heavy taper Hart barrel fluted to aid in cooling.
A-5 McMillan type stock or the like.

Just need to know what my action and stock options are and find a smith who can build a tack driver near Boise, ID.

All input is welcome.
Thxs

I have two 300 ultramags built on sako actions and they perform extremely well. Much better than the remington 700 action. If your 75 action works well with the ultramag case I would do the 300 ultra. It is way better at long range hunting than the 300 win mag. Time of flight to target is everything to eliminate as much windage as possible and the ultra is way faster. Between 200-250 fps throughout the bullet wt range. Just no comparison between these two. If your talking 1000 yard targets in a more controled environment with different parameters then the 300 win mag is a good choice.

That makes sence.
I'll try for the RUM.

Do all the actions fit this? Or what do I need to know when looking for them.

Any magnum action work?

Gun show this weekend and I don't want to pick up the wrong action or donor rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.