Sako extractor troubles

762x51

rifle is a rem 700P that i've had for about 12 years now. it's in a choate stock with a PTG bottom metal and AICS style mags. the factory extractor didnt want to always work, so i thought i'd have my smith install a sako.

the sako will pull out the round just fine but it usually gets caught in the action and doesnt eject consistently. it just dumps it on top of the next round.

i've removed the ejector plunger and spring and cleaned out the hole. i also replaced the spring with an "extra power" one from brownells. it doesnt seem to have helped.

any ideas on what the issue could be? my smith has looked at it and basically said that it's as good as it'll get. i've seen other sako installs that shoot the brass out 100 feet, so i know this isnt correct.
i can see if i can take a video of it and post it. this may be something that another smith needs to look at and fix but thought i'd try here first. thanks for the help!

Are you running the bolt fast I had one the other day that if it was run to fast it would hit the back of the cut out on the action and land back in the action so try running a little slower and maybe not all the way to the bolt stop I have seen the cases hit the turret on the scope and do the same thing might look at those two things good luck

I was going to suggest that the brass is hitting the turret and bouncing back in. Take a close look at the windage turret for and marks or chips.

Are you running the bolt fast I had one the other day that if it was run to fast it would hit the back of the cut out on the action and land back in the action so try running a little slower and maybe not all the way to the bolt stop I have seen the cases hit the turret on the scope and do the same thing might look at those two things good luck

no, it isnt hitting the turret. this wears a super sniper 3-15, so they are kind of protruding, but it doesnt get anywhere near them.

not running the bolt fast either. if anything, it works a little better when i run the bolt fast.

Does it do it with all brands of brass I had one once that the rim on the brass was to thick and wouldnt let go of brass and it would do the same thing but it would only do it with one lot of brass

Maybe post a picture of the extractor and bolt to does it look like it is in the right place on the bolt

here's the pics, wont let me do the video

Attachments

• IMG_2670.JPG
    IMG_2670.JPG
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_2671.JPG
    IMG_2671.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_2672.JPG
    IMG_2672.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 269
  • IMG_2673.JPG
    IMG_2673.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 255
  • IMG_2674.JPG
    IMG_2674.JPG
    843.6 KB · Views: 241
in the last pic, i drew an arrow to the extractor showing where it protrudes into the inside of the bolt face. that's what i'm thinking is causing it to hang up and not let go of the case. the edges of the extractor are sharp, so i might try filing them down and seeing if it works. a new extractor is $30, so if it doesnt work it's not a big deal.

I'm thinking the material used to fill the space that was taken up by the old Remington extractor is to thick and not allowing the Sako extractor to hold onto the case rim long enough. Below are two pics of my Sako extractor. Notice my Smith didn't use fill material and the extractor has worked flawlessly for over 700 rounds. You can see how much more grip the extractor has.

Attachments

• IMG_20180618_111500828.jpg
    IMG_20180618_111500828.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20180618_111348488.jpg
    IMG_20180618_111348488.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 248
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts