Sako Extractor Questions

Nodak7mm

Okay Guys,

Two years ago I had a "Hi-PSI" incident. No damage to me or action, but it was obvious by the condition of the primer I hit serious PSI. Anyhow, when I first attempted to extract case, it did not due to the fact the "shock" knocked the Sako Extractor loose from the bolt. I inspected rifle, put the extractor back in and everything was hunky-dory till the other day. Before I get chastised, I know why it happened, I did not get rid of all those previous loads that prviously caused it. So let this be a lesson to all. you get to that psi indication, stop right there and pull bullets. Don't procrastinate like I did, it'll come back to bite ya.

Anyhow, this is the second time the extractor got knocked loose from the bolt. Is this to be expected with serious PSI? Or is there an issue with the spring holding the extractor in place, such as to weak? I don't know what to think other than I was lucky once again and did not get hurt or anyone else affected.

Any comments good or bad welcome (and expected).

thx

Nodak7mm
confused.gif

One of my rifles with a gunsmith installed Sako extractor apparently has a weak spring. It does on occasion spit the extractor loose. However, it is the light, fireforming loads that cause the extractor to be released. Full throttle loads never cause this to happen.
Can't explain this.
VH
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.