Sako Bespoke

Tac-O

I've been dreaming of beautiful sakos recently and hope to someday own a deluxe Sako model, or maybe a few. I happen to see an article about their Bespoke line, which seems like it is their custom shop.

After looking at these beauties Sako super deluxe as well as some of their engraved actions and bottom metals, I was really hoping that someone around here has one if these Bespoke Sakos. I'm dreaming of having their mannlicher stock in .308 or 6.5x55, with gloss blueing and antiqued engraving (not the gold inlay), and relief carving near the checkering that is either oak leaves and acorns or juniper leaves and berries, similar to what I'd in the link.

Let see what you have, if you have one!

It's definitely not in my budget either! Maybe I could swing one of their premium models someday, which includes the engraving. But not any time soon. That's why I'm going to attempt to make my own high end Tikka.

I've got a nice piece of walnut I'm going to start on soon. It may take me 3 years to get the detailed oak leave carving done. And then I plan to get a blued Tikka, polish the bead blast off and reblue it to a super fancy high gloss. And start learning to do some metal scrollwork. So in about 10 years, I'll either have a really terrible looking gun, or I'll have saved up enough for a wall hanger gun! 😂

Hey Tac O, I collected and shot Sako rifes for many years. My first was a .270 factory gun. Back then, they used the FN long actions. I bought and sold many Sakos thru the years and finaly, in 2009, sold my entire collection. But I still have a fondness for them. If you feel likewise, you might like to jointheir collectors cub at:

Interesting. I see why you like them. Those were amazingly popular when I was young. Weatherby's also.....both were seen at the top of the line for Montana hunting rifles. We loved meeting hunters with either. I was hunting with a sporterized 1917 and my dad a Ruger M77 tang safety......so we were pretty classic in that time too! Thanks for bringing up great memories with this post.

Were those hand carved or laser like the Weatherby Lasermark's?

I generally prefer the more classic rifles, usually based off a model 70 with slightly fancy wood, rounded forearm, straight comb, shadow cheek piece, ebony tip, steel grip cap, red pad, std to Ruger fancy checkering, and classic 6.5x55/6.5-06AI/270 Win/280 AI....

Hey Tac O, I collected and shot Sako rifes for many years. My first was a .270 factory gun. Back then, they used the FN long actions. I bought and sold many Sakos thru the years and finaly, in 2009, sold my entire collection. But I still have a fondness for them. If you feel likewise, you might like to jointheir collectors cub at:

Thanks for the tip! I may have to join that and eventually join the club

Interesting. I see why you like them. Those were amazingly popular when I was young. Weatherby's also.....both were seen at the top of the line for Montana hunting rifles. We loved meeting hunters with either. I was hunting with a sporterized 1917 and my dad a Ruger M77 tang safety......so we were pretty classic in that time too! Thanks for bringing up great memories with this post.

Were those hand carved or laser like the Weatherby Lasermark's?

I generally prefer the more classic rifles, usually based off a model 70 with slightly fancy wood, rounded forearm, straight comb, shadow cheek piece, ebony tip, steel grip cap, red pad, std to Ruger fancy checkering, and classic 6.5x55/6.5-06AI/270 Win/280 AI....

I was wondering the same thing. I may have to email them to find out. I would guess that it is lazer... As well as the engraving. Looking at a couple of master engravers web sites throughout the US, some of their fully engraved pistols are in the neighborhood of $25k. It's not cheap!

Here's my progress on my stock. I outlined the factory synthetic stock and then modified it to have a slightly more closed grip, slightly shorter LOP, a slightly higher heel to where there's barely any drop, and a slightly raised comb.

I cut it out on my buddy's band saw and drilled the holes with his press. I'm slightly worried I cut it too thin... I tried to leave myself 1/16" proud of where the true dimension was and I didn't do a great job. So hopefully the sanding doesn't make the action area too thin to where I have to have the action sitting higher for it to feed correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_20201124_194841183.jpg
    IMG_20201124_194841183.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20201124_194932242.jpg
    IMG_20201124_194932242.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20201124_194854625.jpg
    IMG_20201124_194854625.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20201124_195031329.jpg
    IMG_20201124_195031329.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 83
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.