Sako AIII

LRDesert

Have a Sako AIII action pulled from an old finnbear rifle that I sent off to have New barrel and stock put on. Build is almost complete and it is time to figure how to mount the scope. I have been looking pretty heavily at the era-tac picatinny 20MOA rail. Have not been able to get a reply on whether or not it will work. So asking you folks any info on that rail or suggestions for mounting hardware for this scope. This rifle will be for hunting and banging steel.

They list rails to fit Sako rifles and use Weaver Style rings. It would be nice if you had a shop where you could try them for a proper fit. Ordering and getting a proper fit may stress your patients having to return non fitting rails. Good Luck on this part of your project.

Get the Sako Optilock ringmounts. I have a set to sell for $150 sshipped.

Being as this rifle is from the early 80's the dovetails have changed slightly in dimension over time. From what I've read it doesn't sound like the newer opti-lock ring mounts would fit my action. If I'm mistaken please let me know.

If you really want a rail look at the Contessa rails. They have a 20 MOA and the rails for the Sako 85 will fit your AIII. Don't go with the Optilock, they are too big and too heavy. If you want to go with just rings, go with Leupold. They will fit your tapered Sako dove tails.

Contessa rails 20MOA are on Amazon.

Probably the only way you are going to get 34mm rings is to get a picatinny rail. Don't think anyone makes 34mm to fit the Sako dove tails. As for height, that's up to you. What scope is it by the way?

Leupold VX6HD 4-24x52

Go to the Leupold mount finder that I linked to above. They show 34mm rings and bases that will fit the Sako. The picture is not representative but they do show bases separate from the rings. A call to them would make sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.