sako 85 300 win mag 1:11 twist

STK-300

I have a sako 85 finnlight 300 win mag.
I want to shoot long range (over 750 yards). Not really for hunting as I am a decent hunter and have never felt the need to shoot over 400 yards.
I was told that 1:11 twist is too slow and that i should get a fierce 300 win with a 1:9 twist or a rifle with a 1:10 twist which seems standard.
Any thoughts, guidance or recommendations aqre welcomed.

Go to the Berger bullets website and type in your twist rate, the bullet you intend to shoot and your elevation in their stability calculator. This will give you a good idea on what bullet you can stabilize where you will be shooting. A 1/11 is O.K. but not optimal for long range. 750 yards is probably fine for a 1/11 300wm with the right bullet. I shoot 208's in a 1/10 so you should be able to find a bullet that will work for what you are wanting to do. Even if you aren't loading, you can probably find a bullet in the 180gr range that would work for punching paper or hitting steel.

I have the same barrel and 200 grain accubonds and eldx's shoot well. Working with vld 210's with some promise. Berger 215's probably not gonna cut it.

I have a sako 85 finnlight 300 win mag.
I want to shoot long range (over 750 yards). Not really for hunting as I am a decent hunter and have never felt the need to shoot over 400 yards.
I was told that 1:11 twist is too slow and that i should get a fierce 300 win with a 1:9 twist or a rifle with a 1:10 twist which seems standard.
Any thoughts, guidance or recommendations aqre welcomed.
I have looked at your rifle in 300 win mag, I really liked it but shied away due to the twist rate but will follow this thread as I have a 1:10 twist rate BAR and used to have another 300 win mag with a 1:10 twist rate was looking at some point in the future another bolt gun, I will follow this thread and see what folks come up with. As I also was looking at rifles with a faster twist rate than 1:10 in 300 win mag.

If you hand load -Berger 190/210 VLD and 180/205 Elite's have a min twist rate of 1:11 or slower. Those are fine options for you to try for heavy/mid weight good BC bullets. The 200.20x hybrid has a nice BC as well if you are just target shooting (some shoot game with it too), it's also available which is nice these days.

Sako 85s are fine rifles, but yeah, the twist rates can limit your bullet options a bit in a lot of their chamberings. I have one in 7RM and it's a great shooter with midweight .284 bullets out to 600.

Everyone likes getting a new rifle, so if you really want one, go for it :)

I already have one. I was just debating getting a new rifle, probably 300 win. Any recommendations?

I already have one. I was just debating getting a new rifle, probably 300 win. Any recommendations?
I just bought a new nosler model 21 in 300 win mag. I have not shot it yet, but really like the fit and finish. It is also very well balanced in the hands......not sure what your plans are, but the rifle is worth checking out....I put a Leopold vx5hd 3x15 on it.

This is the list from Berger Bullets Stability chart:

1645312106451.png

All of the bullets on this list will make the 750 yard+ target shooting. You do not need the 1:10" twist to shoot your distances although for a few of the longer Match bullets, it would be helpful.

I shoot a .308 Win. at 1,000 yards using a 175 gr. Berger. The barrel is a 1:11.25" twist rate. Think of what you can do with the .300 Win. Mag. and 26" barrel?

Enjoy!

😁

If you are shooting paper to 750+ and hunt to 500 yards and in I would say you are fine with the 11 twist. you have to account for drop and wind regardless of the bullet you shoot. You can hit past 750 with a 165 grain bullet if you want to. Upgrades to bullets, rifles, optics, and loading practices can make it a little easier to be consistent, but it still takes practice and an accurate solution...IMHO.

When I was getting ready to go on my elk hunt I only had a range long enough to shoot to 650 yards and with vortex factory loaded with 165 gr Barnes ttsx bullets I was able to consistently hit the 8" gong. Another reason I used 165s is because that's what was on my Leupold costum turret when I bought it and it worked out.