Sako 75 scope mount??

nebhunt

I just purchased a Sako 75 and will be mounting a Leupold VXIII 4.5x14 30mm LR scope on it. The optilock rings and base doesn't sit down close enough to the gun. So of my other option of a Leupold ringmount, is it as solid as the optilock system? I would like to know if there are any picatinny systems that fit the dovetail? Any help with a good solid scope mount that allows the scope to sit down close to the barrell is appreciated.

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to know if there are any picatinny systems that fit the dovetail?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do a seach on Near Mfg. They are in Canada and make a rail for the 75. Very nice piece of equipment if you can get one.

I've used Optilocks, Leupold, Millet, Conetrol and Talley mounts on my Sakos. I don't like the Leupold system and absolutely detest the Millets. The Optilocks are okay, but they're a little high and those rings screws are just awfully soft. I don't have much experience with the Talleys yet as I just this past weekend mounted my first scope in them (first time using Talleys on a Sako, that is). These Talleys are lows and may be just a smidge lower than the low Optilocks, but there's not much difference. The Conetrols are nice looking mounts and are the lowest I've used on a Sako. In fact, medium Conetrols are lower than low Optilocks. Here's a picture of them on a 75:

CIMG0370.jpg

I've checked into the Near Mfg. bases and found that the minimum taper they had (at least at that time) was 25 MOA. I didn't want a base with that much taper.

I did talk to the people at Talley and it sounds like they have a solid system. I guess it has a screw that locks the base from the top? Is that correct. On your optilock system was it the ring and base or the one piece ringmount? If it was the ringmount one piece did it fit lower?

I'll post a picture of the Talleys on my 75 when I can so you can see what they look like. Probably be able to do that tomorrow. The bases slide onto the Sako dovetails (I used a block of wood to tap them on as far as they would go) and there are two set screws on top that you screw down onto the receiver to lock them on. I like the way they look and it seems to be a strong setup, though only time will tell.

My Optilocks are the 2 piece base and ring arrangement. I don't have any experience with the Ringmounts you speak of.

Here are a couple of pictures of Talleys on a 75.

This is the left side: You can see a single screw on the bottom of the rings. That's what clamps the rings onto the bases.
CIMG0499.jpg

This is the right side. You can see two screws on both the bottom and top halves of the rings. This is what fastens the rings halves together around the scope.
CIMG0500.jpg

I really like these rings. I've got another set on a Winchester pre-'64 Model 70 that have served me well.

Thanks for the photos. Great looking gun. My Sako 75 is a twin to yours in 338 Win Mag. I like the looks of the Talley system. Do they make any rings that would make it lower. I like my scope to be as low as I can get it.

Well, these that I have are lows and I think that's as low as they go. You could call them I guess to find out if something even lower is available. Personally I don't have any problems with these and my 1" Zeiss, but I realize the exit pupil of a 30mm scope will be just a tad bit higher.

I too like my scope to be as low as possible. That's what I like about the Conetrols. They are the lowest setup I've seen for a Sako. However, the Conetrols in my experience are a pain in the rear to work with and I believe the Talleys are a better overall system.

I was just on the Burris web site and they have DD base for the Sako 75. It also uses a set screw after you slide the base forward and seat it with a block of wood. The signature rings have an insert like the optilock rings. It looks like they may mount a little lower for the 30mm. Have you heard anything about these rings good or bad.

I've heard both good and bad about the Burris Signature rings. I've used their regular rings, but not the Signatures, so I have no personal experience.

BTW, what's the objective diameter on the scope you're going to mount?

I love a Stainless gun in a nice wood stock !!

Anyway , I have a Sako L691 which I think has the same dovetail as the 75 but have never had the chance to compair the two. My Sako is a 300 mag thats setup for long range shooting , I wanted a Piccatinny rail but could never get a clear answer on what would fit so I made my own just got a blank rail milled the taper into it and drilled and tapped my reciever then screwed the base down. Now this setup a little higher than a dove tailed rail would have been I think but it works fine.

I talked to the folks at Near and they said that their 75 base would probably fit but weren't sure , so I asked if I could get one to try and if it diden't fit could I send it back and they said sure but they would need a crdit card number which I understand then they said that they would charger a $50 restocking fee if I sent it back !!! that did it with me and I will never order anything from them nor will dozens of folks that I deal with.

Give Glenn Seekins a call he might be making one by now and his bases and top notch

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.