Sako 75 & 85 hunter recoil pad question

Idaho Trecker

I have a couple sako 85 and a 75 that have the hard rubber pad on them and there are no visible screw holes to take them off. Am I correct in assuming they are glued to the stock? If so would I have to get a bandsaw to cut them off then true up the end and replace with a different one (probably pachmayr grind to fit)?

Thanks in advance for any insight

I have a couple sako 85 and a 75 that have the hard rubber pad on them and there are no visible screw holes to take them off. Am I correct in assuming they are glued to the stock? If so would I have to get a bandsaw to cut them off then true up the end and replace with a different one (probably pachmayr grind to fit)?

Thanks in advance for any insight

That is exactly what you need to do. I band saw by cutting the pad only and finish sanding the rest off until I get to the stock to save all of the stock possible and keep it square.

Some times you can use a wood chisel carefully and pop it off cleanly.

The Pachmayr decelerator is the best for a custom fit IMO.

J E CUSTOM

Idaho Trecker

I have some older Sakos and they do have screws in the recoil pad which I have replaced. It looked at first as if there were no screw holes but when I looked closely I did find some. They are almost invisible as time and the rubber had resealed the hole. So... be careful, you may have screws after all. I'd be surprised if you didn't. Take a small Phillips head screwdriver and see if you can insert it where the screw holes should be. Since you are planning on cutting it off anyway what would it hurt?

very true. I haven't tried a screwdriver but i did run my fingernail along it since I just cant believe the pads were not screwed in. I have a new 85 classic which has the same hard rubber pad as the 75 hunter and no visible screw holes. I'll give that a try. Thanks

Im betting it has 2 screws. Win and Browning had screws that held the pad down tightly.....for the glue to set and then the outer edge of the pad was buffed down using a bench grinder.....and little rubber plugs got glued into the locations IN THE PAD where the screws went in.

Which model did you have? I have a 85 finnlite and i hope the dimensions on the studs for the recoil pad have not changed from the 75.

it was a stainless with synthetic stock; Sako 75 7mm STW.

I had a hard time finding the screws as well. I used a screwdriver to find them; put some soapy water on the screwdriver and pushed around where I thought the screws would be. When I was in the right spot the pad would give slightly. Pushed through and took them out. The rubber had 'sealed' up like previously mentioned. You can not see where they are.

It could be possible that the wood stock pads are glued on, but my synthetic stock was 'hollow' on the end so there is not much there to glue to. hope this helps.

Below is the pad for synthetic stock.

https://www.buymilsurp.com/sako-75finlight-syn-butt-pad-p-23408.html

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.