SAFETY REMINDER!!!

True, lots of good info to pass on: however, the info as to what happened in side that rifle is still a mystery to me. Truly hope that somebody does a real study as to what actually occurred: way too many variables involved and way too many questions go unanswered. Hope there is a sharing of the diagnosis if completed using a real and acceptable scientific approach. Just really would like to know more.
Curiosity taking over…I wonder if the gentleman was loading for his pistol immediately prior to loading for the rifle?

When I researched reduced load powders ~2-3 years ago, the only two of their powders Hodgdon advised for reduced powder charge use were Trailboss and Hodgdon 4895.

True, lots of good info to pass on: however, the info as to what happened in side that rifle is still a mystery to me. Truly hope that somebody does a real study as to what actually occurred: way too many variables involved and way too many questions go unanswered. Hope there is a sharing of the diagnosis if completed using a real and acceptable scientific approach. Just really would like to know more.
This certainly isn't quantifiable info but my understanding of it is basically this:
Rather than a progressive burn, the powder is ignited at a much faster rate once ignition starts.
This would be similar pressure wise to doubling (or some multiple) a powder charge that was already at max load.
I.e. say you had a max charge of 4350 but it burned at the same rate (elapsed time) as Red Dot.
BIG PROBLEM
Just got a chance to reread this thread. I was just talking about lack of respect in another thread, seems to be popping up everywhere.

Sorry your having to deal with this Rich, seems like the phrase "No good deed goes unpunished" rings true more than ever.
Just got a chance to reread this thread. I was just talking about lack of respect in another thread, seems to be popping up everywhere.

Sorry your having to deal with this Rich, seems like the phrase "No good deed goes unpunished" rings true more than ever.
I'm not too concerned about dealing with it. Most people who aren't just talking to hear themselves get it!
It's why I don't spend much time on here anymore though and am no longer acting as a sponsor.
I'm all for members monitoring along with admins because when people realize they aren't impressing anyone, they generally move on!
🙂

Good stuff. I never do reduced loads for anything. I load to lower end of published and cross referenced load data If I want a "light load".40 plus years at it.
Stay safe all.

Or, keep on pouting, as if that will get you something more than further humiliation.

You are correct there is evidence of pouting, however, humiliation? This appears to have been a catastrophic type event producing huge pressure on the bolt, destroying the lugs on the bolt. Doesn't pressure often take it's easiest escape route? What happened inside the chamber? Was there an obstruction? Can't the status of the bolt and steel be evaluated? I assume that there are more rounds to evaluate: powder type, load amount, and size of projectile? Many possibilities have already been described. There may have more than just one contributing factor? Point to be made: further study can be done and if shared we can all learn from it. For me, this is the main reason to participate on this forum. I don't need folks suggesting that I don't have an understanding of safety compliance: I have in my 85 years seen more than most. I am sorry if I have offend you, but your post, although informative, seemed to eliminate all further learning regarding this event. Pouting is not good.

I rather doubt there is going to be a metallurgical investigation into a reloading incident of an individual. An incident caused by a business is another story since it is a product safety concern and companies will turn over every rock to find the cause and prevent it. Anyone who expects the same from an individual is out of touch with reality. First the cost and second without absolute certainty of what the actual load was, it is nothing but speculation. The intent of the posting is a very simple safety reminder while reloading. The responding posts provided additional thoughts on what can go wrong with reduced loads or unknown load development. I appreciated the thoughtfulness of Rich to consider his friends on LRH to give a heads up. We are all experienced reloaders to varying degrees and an incident like this can help redirect our thoughts on safety first during our reloading processes.
Thanks Rich!

Last edited:
The full details need to be published along with photographs as this could be the first fully documented case of this type of explosion. The subject has been discussed a lot but never been documented in depth.

I have been involved with explosion investigations as project manager and I can tell you after significant investment of funds, 3rd party experts, detailed analysis of the remaining parts, 6 months later we had lab reports, speculation but no true answer. When stuff goes boom, it is not an exact science on being able to document the root cause and more likely just contributory causes. Now if we can just get the load data it may help but it is not likely to prove anything for detonation theory. What was the precise angle of the chamber? Never know that. Even that doesn't prove squat since the actual powder distribution in the case is completely unknown at the angle at time of ignition.

Western powders has a really good blog on powder position and pressure in a case whether pistol or rifle that everyone should read.
Link: Western Powders Blog

The full details need to be published along with photographs as this could be the first fully documented case of this type of explosion. The subject has been discussed a lot but never been documented in depth.
What secret power do you have, to demand and receive? Who on this Forum owes you, or another member anything?

How many times, and in how many ways, does the demand for additonal detail need to be reiterated before it sinks in.

Humiliation = asking, then demanding over and over again, with nothing more to show for it. Pout on. In as many ways as one can imagine.

No amount of pouting and complaining will bring back the shell that blew this rifle apart. No quantity of money spent on follow-up investigation and analysis will give us that shell.

Done. Gone. Over.

Some would have more peace of mind had they never read this Thread. I suspect most are content with this SAFETY REMINDER, as is.

Last edited:
This is a good anecdote and admonition. Reminds me of an excerpt from the Hornady manual in the .243 section:

5DBBC319-61B5-488F-9491-DAAE21DF93A3.png

What secret power do you have, to demand and receive? Who on this Forum owes you, or another member anything?

How many times, and in how many ways, does the demand for additonal detail need to be reiterated before it sinks in.

Humiliation = asking, then demanding over and over again, with nothing more to show for it. Pout on. In as many ways as one can imagine.

No amount of pouting and complaining will bring back the shell that blew this rifle apart. No quantity of money spent on follow-up investigation and analysis will give us that shell.

Done. Gone. Over.

Some would have more peace if mind had they never read this Thread. I suspect most are content with this SAFETY REMINDER, as is.

This is a good anecdote and admonition. Reminds me of an excerpt from the Hornady manual in the .243 section:

View attachment 278036
Thank you, positive post!
I don't think it ONLY happens with slow powders though.
I proved that with Red Dot years ago

Glad it wasn't worse! Reduced loads and faster than normal powders always make me nervous. I try to use the slowest powder I can get to shoot well to try and reduce the chances of stuff like that happening. I've seen powder "detonations" caused by low case fill and poor ignition and they can seemingly come out of nowhere.

I always go the opposite direction with my reduced loads, I find the slowest powder I can (within reason) and use that just so I get a good case fill. Or better yet, use Trailboss powder. That stuff literally works in everything and a 5# keg will last 3 lifetimes! LOL
I whole heartily agree with our statements!