Safety or trigger??

Trnelson

Had a terrible moment at the range on Friday. My Winchester model 70 stainless extreme in 264 magnum had an accidental discharge. When I moved the safety from fully safe to half salf to fire the weapon instantly discharged. Thank God it was pointed safely downrange.
The rifle has exactly 271 rounds down the pipe since new. I had it bedded and a muzzlebrake installed before it was ever fired by me. It has never exhibited this before this instance. Upon fully clearing the rifle and checking it over it demonstrated the same problem again and again with an empty chamber.
Ideas?? Is it a trigger problem, a safety problem or something else all together? Obviously, Winchester is getting a phone call Monday morning.

Safety & trigger problem. Fully to the rear and the safety blocks the firing pin and locks the bolt. The middle position only blocks the firing pin, the bolt can be manipulated. Fully forward and the firing pin block safety hands the firing pin off, to the trigger. The pull weight on the triger may be too light as the trigger should catch the firing pin. Sear engagement may not be sufficent, too. Have you adjusted the trigger?

Thank you for the response. Negative. No adjustment has been made to the trigger. I just wanted to "confirm" my suspicions before talking with them.

Call Winchester ASAP. I've had my M70 discharge when switching the safety off and the trigger was set too low (<2 lbs). Now I keep the trigger at >2.5 lbs - no problems.

Spoke with the Winchester service center in Missouri (800-322-4626) this morning about the rifle. I have purchased my last rifle from their corporation, the "warranty" is a complete farce.

I spoke with a tech (Matt) and a supervisor (Dallas), they consider it to be "modified" and will not warranty the rifle in any way. The addition of a professionally fit muzzle device to attach my suppressor, and a professional bedding job BEFORE a single shot was fired has, "modified the rifle in a detrimental fashion that voids all warranties." Even though the rifles trigger, bolt or safety has not been modified in any fashion from the factory settings.

Long story short, according to the technical supervisor, "the addition of an optic or sling could even be considered a 'modification', unless installed at the factory, or by their service center, and could void the warranty", govern yourselves accordingly when making your next purchasing decisions...

The rifle in question has the "new" MOA trigger (unmodified) and has fired exactly 171 rounds since new. At round 171 it suddenly demonstrated an accidental discharge when switching the safety to the fire position. Subsequently, the rifle expresses this instantaneous firing pin release every time it is switched to the "fire" position. It maybe a good idea to have your rifle checked by a professional or just have the trigger replaced.

That is too bad they have taken that stance on customer service. The winchester mod 70 is hands down my favorite rifle and i love every one i own. I have never had or shot one with thier moa trigger but i have also never read anything favorable about them either. Your issue could likely be fixed easily and inexpensively by doing some google research or taking it to a qualified smith to look at. Or of course replacing with a high quality aftermarket trigger.

Sorry to hear about your poor experiece with such a renound rifle manufacturer.

Spoke with the Winchester service center in Missouri (800-322-4626) this morning about the rifle. I have purchased my last rifle from their corporation, the "warranty" is a complete farce.

I spoke with a tech (Matt) and a supervisor (Dallas), they consider it to be "modified" and will not warranty the rifle in any way. The addition of a professionally fit muzzle device to attach my suppressor, and a professional bedding job BEFORE a single shot was fired has, "modified the rifle in a detrimental fashion that voids all warranties." Even though the rifles trigger, bolt or safety has not been modified in any fashion from the factory settings.

Long story short, according to the technical supervisor, "the addition of an optic or sling could even be considered a 'modification', unless installed at the factory, or by their service center, and could void the warranty", govern yourselves accordingly when making your next purchasing decisions...

The rifle in question has the "new" MOA trigger (unmodified) and has fired exactly 171 rounds since new. At round 171 it suddenly demonstrated an accidental discharge when switching the safety to the fire position. Subsequently, the rifle expresses this instantaneous firing pin release every time it is switched to the "fire" position. It maybe a good idea to have your rifle checked by a professional or just have the trigger replaced.

I would expect that response from any firearms maker, not just Winchester. The liability is so great that the "line" has to be drawn high enough to meet it, and then some. Any modification, not preformed by them or one of their reps (service centers) can and will void most all warranties, even if it's a company that makes toasters or TVs. That should be the expected result of any mods to any firearm that comes with a warranty. No one should be expected to accept liability of mods made by another.

This has been my experience. All of the gun manufacturers will insist the rifle be repaired by them to factory original condition before any work will be performed by them. You bed the action and as far as they are concerned the stock is totaled. Cut a fresh crown on it and the barrel is wasted.

If you pay them to replace your stock and barrel and they might consider looking at the trigger.

I have a Mossberg 4x4 338WM stainless fluted with a factory brake in here right now with a factory laminated stock that was improperly fitted at the factory and it blew out the wood in the tang area. The lifetime warranty is void because, "The rifle is a discontinued item!"

Had a terrible moment at the range on Friday. My Winchester model 70 stainless extreme in 264 magnum had an accidental discharge. When I moved the safety from fully safe to half salf to fire the weapon instantly discharged. Thank God it was pointed safely downrange.
The rifle has exactly 271 rounds down the pipe since new. I had it bedded and a muzzlebrake installed before it was ever fired by me. It has never exhibited this before this instance. Upon fully clearing the rifle and checking it over it demonstrated the same problem again and again with an empty chamber.
Ideas?? Is it a trigger problem, a safety problem or something else all together? Obviously, Winchester is getting a phone call Monday morning.

It could be as simple as a piece of dirt locking up your sear inside trigger housing, or much more complicated.

I would take the whole trigger off the gun and clean it. I would also remove the bolt shroud and firing pin, clean it and reassemble and test...

But I understand how the trigger is supposed to work. If you don't, hand it off to somebody who does

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.