Safest way to pull bullets from LIVE loaded ammo?

texas

I have heard of people using bullet puller for pistol ammo but, does that work for rifles also?

Getting old think I read that DK did it but can't remember
confused.gif
. And is it worth it if you have to buy loaded ammo just to get the bullets you want?

Yup

I pull rifle bullets every now and again. Any loads I have that I won't shoot I pull the bullet and dump the powder. I also have been know to pull factory bullets, resize the neck and replace with Sierra MK and SBTs.
I use a RCBS puller, just buy the proper collet and put it in the press.

For rifle ammo, an impact puller works well. As long as the ammo is not crimped, it will work on factory and handloads. With some foam at the end, bullet nose deformation is eliminated.

I also got rid of the collet case holder that is included and just use a normal press shellholder.

Good luck...

Jerry

Texas,

I've used an impact puller for both rifle and handgun ammo, for years with out any problems.

If you'd like to come practice with it, I've a few hundred 17 Remington rounds here that need to be pulled.
grin.gif

Tim

Yeah Tim, I'll come try it out if you provide the LSL and chilie piquins.
grin.gif

Those 17's are they bigger than gnats
shocked.gif

We shoot big guns here in Texas.

They're bigger than Rhode Island gnats.
rolleyes.gif
Anyway, I use a collet puller when I can(RCBS) but think the Hornady or old Forster cam lock varieties are superior. They all accomplish the task at hand. Exception being pistol ammo(a lot) and round nose lead bullets(most, in my experience.) Collets style simply can't get enough traction on short stumpy bullets. BTW, who on this forum would be using those anyway? I can't stand the whacking noise of the impact pullers, but if necessary I'll do it. Use my earmuffs, and when recovering paper patch bullets(pure lead) will put a wad of cloth at the bottom to avoid damage when it comes undone. My .02 worth...

Texas,

Don't you worry about a thing. I work with a fellow from the Lone Star State, so I'm used to being patient and having to explain things.
wink.gif

You get the chance, just slip on over here to God's Country, and I'll not only teach you to become an expert with the impact puller, but we'll throw some Green Chilies on the grill and I'll introduce you to real beer.
grin.gif

We shoot big guns here too, but we also try to match the gun to the critter we are hunting. The 17 Remington is my coyote calling rifle. Trust me, it's much better on the fur check than a 338 Lapua when the coyote is 30 yards and broadside.
shocked.gif

Tim B., sounds like a real good time to me
cool.gif
I'll see what I can do about making the trip sometime soon. Those green chilie sounds good to me . You do have something to spice them up don't you.
grin.gif

If you got the beer ,I've got the time

NightHawk, Impact pullers for about $12-15, collect versions around $25 or a bit more.

Texas,

I've got an impact puller and a forester collet type puller. You are more than welcome to borrow either. If you are not interested in saving the bullets, the second quickest way to pull the bullets is to put the round in your press with no die, put the ram all the way up, attach a vice grip to the bullet and lower the ram. It works pretty well, if you don't want to save the bullet, a collet puller is the only way to go. The impact type pullers will deform the tips of the bullet. I rarely use these anymore.

Let me know if you need any of my tools. Oh, BTW, a buddy of mine just traded his 300 RUM with a 6-18 Swarv to Dury's Gun shop, if you are interested. It has a nice Vais brake on it.

Also, we use the right caliber for the animal here in the great Nation of Texas. My brother used his 338 Lapua to kill a raccoon and I used my 7 STW on Jackrabbits. It worked pretty well, we didn't have any that limped off injured. I'd say we used enough gun!

Jim

[ 09-05-2002: Message edited by: 338Lapua ]

338Lapua,

Have you tried those 162 AMax's on the Jacks yet? You almost have to have a spotter, proof of a solid hit is hard to find.
wink.gif

Nope, no 162's, I used the Sierra 120gr Varminters. We were riding around in a truck (safari style), so there was not a chance for long shots.

The varminter's did the job quite well.
grin.gif

JIm

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.