Safari sling

Joefrazell

Has anyone here used one of these? I see it puts the rifle in front of you kinda distributing the weight a bit. What's your opinion?

Take your safari rifle. Sling it over your shoulder with the rifle in the front. Keep your left hand on the fore-end while stalking. Peter Chapstick describes this technique in his books.No need to buy anything special.

Good luck

Jerry

I used one on a week long elk hunt this year and really liked it. I'm kinda surprised more people haven't adapted using something like this. I actually lost a chance at a buck earlier this year because my rifle was berried in my eberlestock when I was hiking which got me to searching and found these. So far I think they're great

Yup, been using one for 4 years now. Love them and like you, Im surprised more people dont use.
I guess if the majority of hunters hunt from a stand, It wouldnt be applicable.

I've used one for years and really like it, but there are some issues with them.

You really need to watch your muzzle with those slings; they're best if you hunt alone. The muzzle is swinging all over the place when you don't keep one hand on the forend.

They don't work well if you wear a pack. The pack will get in the way of the sling and prevent it from sliding over your shoulder.

It can put the rifle in a position to hit anything else you carry depending on your physical build and height. If you carry your binos on your chest, they may hit the scope on the rifle. If you carry a sidearm on your belt it will hit the gun. If you carry a knife in your right front pocket, the knife clip will hit the gun. If you have a hip belt on your pack, it will rub on the gun.

They work ok with a heavy gun, but they're not as easy to just alternate shoulders to switch between your left and right side as a more conventional sling. If a safari sling is adjust properly it will hang different depending on whether you're left or right handed.

I like mine a lot. The muzzle issue is real when with others. I attached a piece of Velcro to the front of the sling and a corresponding piece to my pack strap. Just slide the muzzle into an upright safe position, connect the longer Velcro tag from the pack to the piece on the sling and you are gtg.
Attach it a little for quick access by just tugging lightly on the rifle or attach more securely for moving over obstacles or climbing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.