Saddle Comb of Acrylic?

jeephistorian

I need to raise my comb on my .308 and .270 rifles (both the exact same setup). I've long been shooting with my jaw against the comb as that was how it fit me, but recently, I realized that the inconsistent groups aren't the gun or loads, but my hold. I'm constantly shifting to get the best view since my jaw doesn't arrive in the same place everytime (dang hinged joint).

So I need an adjustable comb. I have a synthetic stock...okay, plastic... :rolleyes: ...and I'm thinking that a saddle style comb would work great. I see that the commercial versions are $50. From previous work, I am very adept at working acrylic and can get some tomorrow very inexpensively.

Is there a reason to use zytel instead of acrylic? I can heat bend acrylic quite easily and the transparent saddle might be cool. Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

I need to raise my comb on my .308 and .270 rifles (both the exact same setup). I've long been shooting with my jaw against the comb as that was how it fit me, but recently, I realized that the inconsistent groups aren't the gun or loads, but my hold. I'm constantly shifting to get the best view since my jaw doesn't arrive in the same place everytime (dang hinged joint).

So I need an adjustable comb. I have a synthetic stock...okay, plastic... :rolleyes: ...and I'm thinking that a saddle style comb would work great. I see that the commercial versions are $50. From previous work, I am very adept at working acrylic and can get some tomorrow very inexpensively.

Is there a reason to use zytel instead of acrylic? I can heat bend acrylic quite easily and the transparent saddle might be cool. Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

The kydex is more flexible and is less prone to breaking than acrylic. That's a big plus when you got your face pressed up against it.

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying the material normally used.

I've used acrylic in many applications including a barrier that withstood substantial impacts without problems. So small an application might not be an issue so long as I am careful in my cutting and polishing to avoid a stress riser.

It looks like Kydex is related to PVC plastics. I've used Sintra and Komadex before. Does anyone know if this might work? My experience with it has been very positive as far as shaping and thermo-molding is concerned, but I recall it being substantially less able to resist impact than acrylic.

Again, thanks for the input!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts