Sad !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had seen this a while back. He is a condescending fellow that is telling those that don't know any better how to think. He is also telling the rest of us not to believe our lying eyes. What long range hunting has actually done is put the focus on shooting game where it belongs, on accuracy.

The vast majority of game is, indeed shot at 300 yards or less based upon all surveys done by Fish & Game. This is not due to limitations on ballistics, but on that good old wind that blows in the mountains, and the fact that the vast majority of us, while we like a nice rack as much as the next guy or gal, hunt to put meat in the freezer to feed our families. Too much chance of wasting meat with a long shot; bullets don't move at the speed of light, and a step or two and you lose a shoulder or part of a hindquarter. The animal gives its life to feed us. Folks here are willing to put in time waiting for the perfect shot, the windless day, etc., etc., etc. Most are not.

Last edited:
Everyone has an opinion just like what is being posted on this thread. You have to respect him when it comes to ethics. I also value his experience and what he has seen during his looong life of hunting and shooting. By the way, I did not hear that he personally shot over 500 elk during his 54 years, but was part of those kills. Anyway, again as others my opinion.

Clearly, this video should be Incorporated as mandatory viewing as part of the NICS check at the point of sale when someone wants to buy a 6.5 Creedmoore!

At a minimum, it's a good video to watch if you want to learn how to be a Grouch.

By the way, I did not hear that he personally shot over 500 elk during his 54 years, but was part of those kills. Anyway, again as others my opinion.

You are correct, he said associated with, My bad. But at this point in the video I was upset that he was preaching ethics to the long range crowd when our ethics are at the highest level in the shooting world and the skill level is way above the general hunting population. Everyone has their "OWN" Ethics and it is how they use them that counts not what someone thinks.

My ethics have not changed over most of my 78 years of hunting, but my skill level has thanks to the improvements made by the shooting industry because of the demand for better quality of groups like this. Now based on a lifetime of teachings and beliefs, the distance is growing shorter because of age, not ethics.

I would like to think that everyone on this site knows there limits and Interested in improving them. And just because a hunter holds his shots below 600 yards, doesn't automatically make him
ethical. The newer generation needs to be encouraged to improve their skills, nor be told that anything over 600 yards is not possible or ethical.

End of sermon !!! and just My opinion. 👍👍👍

J E CUSTOM

I think this is the right place to post this if not. please move.

As most know I like good instructive Videos, but This one needs to be viewed just to make everyone aware.

If you listen to it keep in mind that it is his opinion and no where the is there any real truth in it. he states that energy, shot placement, distance beyond 600 yards is to far for anyone or any cartridge. he also states that he has killed over 500 Elk in his 54 years of hunting. I'm not a math professor, but that adds up to 9.25 Elk per year. is that even possible or legal ? (This is also the guy that beats a bent barrel over a stump to straighten it).

I hope this video doesn't spoil your day, just thought everyone should hear what some think about us and our ability to shoot/hunt over 600 yards. :( :( :(

J E CUSTOM

yes I've seen a few of these videos. Very poor, all of them are opinion presented as objective truth/hard facts. Nothing more. things like this are a necessary evil: freedom of speech means a lot of stupid or false things are freely said.

I would agree that with the previous posters that he is stuck in his ideas or way of thinking.

I did go to his website to try and gain a better perspective on his background and training, which was somewhat impressive I guess. He has worked at some decent companies i.e. Speer and Burris while also completing a formal gunsmithing degree at Trinidad State Junior College. No idea if this was a good program or not 50 years ago. However, looking at his bio page, he sure loves to name drop. But by far is his obsession with Les Bowman. It looks like he hates it when people do not give credit to Les for coming up with 7mm Rem Mag. Which Craig Boddington did in an article with a September 2016 issue of G&A. (Which is why I guess he made is comment about finally agreeing with Craig in the video). I also am guessing that Les had some very strong opinions on long range hunting, which is were Randy's views come from.

But all in all he is entitled to his opinion as all we are. I would say though he is flawed if he is not willing to look a the new research/ technology that has come out in the past 50 years and accept that improvements have been made.

Moving on to my real question though (as it relates to the original post) some people do agree with Randy and his way of thinking but how many people is this really? In the video he said that only a small number of people think long range hunting is acceptable and he doesn't want those few people to ruin hunting because of it. Is this long range hunting community really the minority?
AFAIK Les Bowman did come up with the 7mm RM. St. Jack O'Connor gave Les a .275 H&H Magnum, and he liked it and got the idea to neck down a .338 to 7mm, and then later changed the base cartridge to the ubiquitous 300 H&H. Warren Page had the 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum around the same time. Don't have the books anymore, but that's what I remember. And don't let your wives read any articles by Warren Page. He killed animals on all continents with essentially that one rifle, which is mostly all he ever used for big game.

yes I've seen a few of these videos. Very poor, all of them are opinion presented as objective truth/hard facts. Nothing more. things like this are a necessary evil: freedom of speech means a lot of stupid or false things are freely said.

I agree totally, But just like the "Bad assault rifles" has nothing to do with the rifle, just the shooter and his use of it. This site has some of the best Gunsmiths (I don't claim to be one of those) but someone has to make the younger generation aware of these falsehoods and at least give them the other side of the facts.

I hope no one will believe this rhetoric and form there own opinion on issues like this.

PS: I have had several cups of coffee sense, and have calmed down. :)

J E CUSTOM

AFAIK Les Bowman did come up with the 7mm RM. St. Jack O'Connor gave Les a .275 H&H Magnum, and he liked it and got the idea to neck down a .338 to 7mm, and then later changed the base cartridge to the ubiquitous 300 H&H. Warren Page had the 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum around the same time. Don't have the books anymore, but that's what I remember. And don't let your wives read any articles by Warren Page. He killed animals on all continents with essentially that one rifle, which is mostly all he ever used for big game.
Yes, Warren Page came out with the 7 Mashburn Super Mag. I was going to have my smith spin me up a barrel in it, that was until I got the issue of Shooting Times, with Layne Simpson's 7STW.

Good sermon J E

1591113563853.png

JE stop telling us how old you are man. I have a vision in my head when I read all the post and my vision of you from reading your post for yrs is not some old stogie. I guess I'm just a creative type but every post I read has a different face and voice attached to them. And those faces and voices are molded by how you write and your name. Anybody else do this? Or am I a minority crazy dude.
Shep

Status
Not open for further replies.