Sabot residue cleaner

Know of guys using acetone and other such stuff. Many now use just shotgun wad cleaner that they get from Brownells.

I sometime shoot hundreds of rounds a month and have only made the attempt to clean one rifle, of what I was thinking was sabot residue. Spent a lot of time, only to end up not liking the results.

Sabots are made much better than earlier when they were first marketed. I have in the neighborhood of over 2,000 rounds through my Pro Hunter and I have no intention of doing anything other than more shooting and a normal cleaning.

Last edited:
Is there a preferred sabot that is less likely to melt on ignition? seems like all my build up comes with in 3" of breech.

I've tried acetone, but with little success. How do you guys clean the ring in front of the powder charge when using 209's (at least that's what I think it is).

I'm going to take a guess on this..... if you're experiencing a "ring" or, anything you may believe may be similar, it isn't the sabot melting. Its your propellant, which upon making an assumption only, is Triple 7. T7 is known for creating the "dreaded crud ring". It is necessary to swab between each shot with one "spit patch" or, some soak them in Windex. Then dry with a couple patches, using both sides. Some T7 shooters reduce the load, which they claim reduces the crud ring.

I personally stayed away from T7 prior to the availability of BH209 and used Pyrodex. Since BH209 became available, its all I shoot. I shoot the heck out of mine and I have no problem with sabot build up. Back in the day, some shooters used to bring up the issue but, rarely is it brought up any more.

Sabots have changed significantly over the years, along with the different composites used in making them. I happen to shoot Barnes bullets, specifically the 250gr TMZ and have "0" concern with sabot build up.

If you feel the need, I'd probably suggest the shotgun wad plastic cleaner from Brownell's.

Not to steal this tread, it was me asking about the ring. No I shoot black powder (3f) and have all along, but this is the first rifle that uses 209's and the first with a ring?

Not to steal this tread, it was me asking about the ring. No I shoot black powder (3f) and have all along, but this is the first rifle that uses 209's and the first with a ring?

Yes it will happen with both 2f and Pyrodex. T7 is actually really bad for creating the crud ring at the point of ignition and it builds up very quickly. What you are experiencing is the crud ring build up from the ignition of the propellant and the hotter 209 primer. Can't get away from swabbing between each shot with any other propellant than Blackhorn 209.

Thanks Encore! Yes I was using T7, first loose then pellets. I also use the Barnes MZ bullets. I will get her Clean and then try the BH209. Do they make pellets or strictly loose powder? My gun is the Rem 700 ML with the 209 conversion.

Thanks!!!!
Tim

Thanks Encore! Yes I was using T7, first loose then pellets. I also use the Barnes MZ bullets. I will get her Clean and then try the BH209. Do they make pellets or strictly loose powder? My gun is the Rem 700 ML with the 209 conversion.

Thanks!!!!
Tim

They do not make pellets. BH209 is cylindrical powder, just like some centerfire powders. It cleans up with just Hoppe's or Montana Extreme-Blackhorn 209 cleaner.

I'm not familiar with the Remington, having never had one but, I highly suggest you contact Western/Blackhorn 209 and discuss its use in that firearm. I know that many have made different modifications and the Remington shoots it well. Although the posters who answer a lot of questions on www.modernmuzzleloader.com are old Knight users and many are machinists, I've read on that site what shooters have done with the Remington to shoot BH209 effectively. It IS NOT recommended for plunger rifles, which many have found out the hard way, buy pulling pieces of primer out of their foreheads.
120grs. VOLUME is a MAXIMUM CHARGE and NOT 150GRS as many rifles state will shoot.

I highly recommend that you read all the different pages on this link: Blackhorn 209 They provide a contact number and I suggest you contact them about shooting it out of your Remington. Also, visit modern muzzleloader and search there for what some have done for modifications. Regardless what some may say and/or their luck with shooting BH209 and using regular 209 primers, for consistent ignition and recommended by the manufacturer, either the CCI209M or Federal 209A primers, both MAGNUM primers should be used for consistent ignition. Especially in cold weather.

OK will do, thanks for the heads up! I will do some research before I do anything. The Rem I have has a bolt and the primer is totally enclosed.

Hey Encore, have you had any problems with shelf life? As much as you shoot, I'd expect not. Just trying to remember one of our guys had a powder, maybe just a similar name, that didn't do good from one year to the next.

Hey Encore, have you had any problems with shelf life? As much as you shoot, I'd expect not. Just trying to remember one of our guys had a powder, maybe just a similar name, that didn't do good from one year to the next.

I don't normally have it around that long. However it is my understanding that if its kept in a dry area with the lid secure, its shelf life will last as long as any centerfire propellants. I have one guy that shoots here, that's still on his second bottle and its at least 3 yrs old. Yup, he's one of those guys that once he hits the target, he feels he's already to go.... If I could ever get his permission, I have a great video of him doing EXACTLY what I told him NOT to do. His reaction after shooting, sure shows it :) We were shooting 200yds that day and after he got through ranting, he told ME what he did wrong.

If I were shooting pellets, a box would never be shot from the season before.

Be a great day to shoot here today but,,,,,,,, both the wife and I have "same day" doctor appts. Although we both had the flu shots (no pun intended) over 2 months ago, it isn't working for this strain......... Sucks, fever and chills and lungs that feel like they're on fire! When I wake up, I pick this thing up....... :(

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts