SA Remington build

25 Otter

Hey all. I'm considering having my Remington Mountain Guide 243 re-barreled. The rifle is by far one of my favorite light weights,just not married to the chambering. So,it's off to the rifle smith for a new pipe and maybe a couple other mods. Flute the bolt. Skeletonize the handle. You know the usual stuff. Now I realize if I want to partake of the short mag kool aid I'll have to have the bolt face done. I'm cool with it and the smith is too. From Elk to Antelope. Deer east and west. Black bear too. Folks tell me 270 WSM is the one. I'm leaning a little more toward the 7mm SAUM. Then there is the 6.5 crowd. Good arguments coming from that camp as well. Lets kick it around the old wood stove a bit and see what's left at the end of the day. Any thoughts,ponderings or sugestions?

Hey all. I'm considering having my Remington Mountain Guide 243 re-barreled. The rifle is by far one of my favorite light weights,just not married to the chambering. So,it's off to the rifle smith for a new pipe and maybe a couple other mods. Flute the bolt. Skeletonize the handle. You know the usual stuff. Now I realize if I want to partake of the short mag kool aid I'll have to have the bolt face done. I'm cool with it and the smith is too. From Elk to Antelope. Deer east and west. Black bear too. Folks tell me 270 WSM is the one. I'm leaning a little more toward the 7mm SAUM. Then there is the 6.5 crowd. Good arguments coming from that camp as well. Lets kick it around the old wood stove a bit and see what's left at the end of the day. Any thoughts,ponderings or sugestions?

When you add Elk to the equation I personally feel you need a bigger caliber. The 7mm SAUM or
the 7mm WSM would be my minimum bore Dia. because of bullet selection. the 7mm, 308 and
the 338 would all be good choices in a short mag and all have very extensave bullet selections.

There can be one caliber of rifle, but for a wide range of game I like certain bullet weights for
certain game.

Yes the 6.5s and the 270s will kill Elk but you are limited by distance more than the larger calibers

For Deer 100 to 140grain bullets are fine. for antelope need 120 to 150 grain bullets for quick kills.
Black bear need 160 to 200 grain to stop them in there tracks. and Elk need 160+ grain bullets
in my opinion.

Look/choose a cartrige that can shoot all of these bullet weights and you won't be sorry.

As someone on this site says " there is no such thing as over kill ".

J E CUSTOM

My vote would be the 7saum loaded with 180grain Berger hybrids. I would also agree with JE Custom that with this combo, you would have to limit the range on elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.