S1 - Thanks! .....It is worth $450 more!

G

S1, I went with the nightforce 3.5x15x50 for my new 338 Lapua.

I have always been a Leupold guy, and I still use them for other rifles and shotguns...BUT

Leupold refuses to innovate there reticles.

This NP-R2 reticle is excellent. A zillion time easier to use than Mil-dots (which I can't stand)
I read in another post your method of using half the animals size as a base # for ranging...Great idea to divide by two first them count the ticks. Nightforce should give those same instructions.

In business, the line I always hated was "If its such a good idea how come nobody's thought of it?
We'll here is a prime example...your reticle design is both simple and brilliant!

In discussions on this forum a common point made is whether or not a scope is "that much better" to warrant the extra $$.
I still think spending for a US optics is over the top, but $1100 for a NF NXS versus almost $700 for a Leupold....no contest.

Not just because of the scope itself because without the reticle I wouldn't spend the extra $400+....but with this reticle - OH MAN!

BRENT:
You were right....its not Hoopla!

WOW! Cool John, I think you'll like it... a very nice tool.
smile.gif

S1 has got this reticle "rung out" for all it's worth, I'm making use of mine more and more now too. Glad your pleased with the scope, you did your research no doubt.

3.5-15... a fine balance.
smile.gif

I went with the 3.5x15 for three reasons.

1. The reticle (I believe) works on max power and I do not have much need for 22x.

2. I dont't shoot past 600, but I intend to improve on that.

3. I do not want a 56mm objective, I prefer a lower mount.

I'll keep you guys posted on my results.

Thanks!

S1, I'm mounting the scope on my new 338 Lapua.

What do you mean....Am I going to get into it?

I was going to use it for quick ranging and shot placement out to 600 punching paper and 500 on game. I believe it will be a great help with wind correction.

I intend to practice until I can hit out to 1000.

The problem I have is finding a 1000 yard target. I live in New York and we don't have anything that far.

I live about 40 minutes from white plains. You must go into putnam county to hunt since westchester county is bow only. The biggest Buck i've ever seen was a storybook 14 point....perfect! It was not even 5 minutes from the New York City border. There is a lake there that is a no hunting area.

Some big bucks there!

The reason I'm using the 300 SMK is because I do plan on learning to shoot out to 1000 and I like to develope one load per rifle and learn it inside and out.

I hunt farther upstate where it is shotgun only. I'm going to Wisconsin next year for some whitetail.

Ultimately I will. Initially I will zero at 300 until Improve my ability. I send you an email....check it out.

You can have your Nightforces, S&B, and all
the other imports. I'll stay with Leupold,
(wish I could afford USOptics) and keep
Americans working.
Leupold and Premier Leupolds will stay on my
rifles. They make all the variations of
scopes from 1000yd target to deer and varmits that I or you will ever need.
You'll never find a manufacturer with better customer service.

jack1k

I think it is a big mistake not to buy a product because is wasn't made in the US. US companies can make cheaper products and make higher profits if they use foreign manufactured parts. It's just smart business.

Same with USoptics, USoptics is going to need to have some of it's components manufactured in a foreign country to bring the prices down to NightForce and S&B prices. Does that mean the scopes quality will be less? NO!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.