S&B question for Pete Lincoln

Jon2

Pete

This question is slightly out of context in terms of being related to long range hunting optics but i have always wondered what the difference is between the German and Hungarian made Schmidt and Benders.

I have both and clarity of optics seems the same. Is there any difference in componentry/materials at all? Are they of comparable quality in general?

Many thanks in anticipation of a reply.

Jon - OK I'm poaching - but afaik (from S&B blurb) the difference is cheaper manpower. All S&B stuf makes it plain its teh same optics - But I'm sure Pete knows more.

Hi Jon. The difference is the range of models to choose from. The Hungarian models have the same optical excellence as found i the classic line.
It was the case that when S&B went from steel to alloy tubes, steel 1" scopes where still produced in Hungary, gradualy the Hungary plant has moved over to alloy and is producing a limited range of scopes, ( 6x42, 8x56 illum and nonillum ret) on 1" and 30mm alloy tubes. now S&B are developing the Zenith line more and more, maybe we will see the classic line of variables move to Hungarian production.
Anyone in the market for a fixed scope ( 6 or 8) from S&B should look close at the Hungarian models,they are very good.
Yes the hungarian scopes are made by slightly cheaper labour, but the quality of components are the same.
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.