S&B MOA rial & ring Suggestions?

skip AI

I want to get more elevation from my S&B 2.5-10 X 56 Precision Hunter.
After reading the Article on 6mmbr about the PM II's I read that certain bases may not work well with the S&B scopes with 1/10 or 10mm/cm adjustments.
I am only getting enough MOA to get out to 500yrds using my 25-06 AI. That amounts to 33 clicks.
How much elevation do these scopes have anyway?

I only want to shoot out to 750yrds with this setup, will I achieve this with a 20 MOA rail?
What brand makes a rail to suite a Sako L691? Are they under the TRG?

What brand and style of rings and rail is reccomended? Im after field tough rings and bases they can take a bit of knocking around.

cheers

Skip , I wish you the best of luck with your jurney finding a rail for the L691 , I'm in that quest myself. From the best I can gather a rail for the Sako 75 long action will fit (Near makes one) but the ejection port will probably be differant. I'm in the process of trying to get some things together for Glenn Seekins to see if he might be able to make one.
As for the MOA problem , I would just about guarntee that a 20moa base will get you to 1000yds easly with the S&B scope as it will get the 308 to 1K with most other scope out their.

I have yet had anybody offer any help with measuring their Sako-75 or TGR to compair to my L691 so I can't realy speculate on an actual fit. I have been told that all Sako dovetail's are the same taper from front to back thats why all the 2 piecs bases will work on SA and LA guns but the distance between the dovetails is said to be differant.
If you have any mates down their that have a TGR or 75 that you can get hold of with a set of dial calipers and make some compairisons then you can probably figure something out.

I've been thinking about just taking one for the team and buying the Near base and seeing if it will fit then just having Glenn make one out of Aluminum for me. Either way I think that I'm gonna drill and tap the action so the base is being held buy the dovetail and a set of screws.
Best of luck to you and if you manage to get hold of a TGR or 75 and can get a compairison please feel free to let me know

Mate I have a sako 75 in the cabinet aswell, its a short action though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
What exactly do you want me to measure? I have a normal set of calipers that will get me within .02mm.

Well that stuffs everything up, I will have to save up and buy a S&B PM II instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

So why dont anyone make one for these fine rifles?

cheers

Hi Skip
The TRG has straight dove tails on the action unlike the L691 that is tapered you could use sako optilock bases and rings. To achieve the elevation you want you put a shim between the base and where the ring screws on then lap the rings to suit or glass bed them. I have a PMII S&B on my sako and its a fantastic scope but the 34mm rings really put a hole in the bank balance.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.