Rws vs Norma 270win brass?

zr600

Ok I'm going to build a 280 Sherman and was told to use either the RWS brass or the Norma brass. What is everyone's experience with both or either? The Norma I can get 100 for $71 the RWS is available for 20 for $34.98 I know the rws is supposed to be really good brass and it should be for the price. But how is the Norma because it is way more affordable.

So you like the Norma it had been very consistent and primer pockets holding up with higher loads or you not pushing it?

I have not tried RWS. So far Norma has been pretty good. I stayed away from Hornady. I tried Winchester and got three firings before primer pockets went south. I did loose a handful of the Norma pushing it pretty hard. I was running RL-26 with 140 VLDs @3250. I try to keep it @3100, it's very accurate and not hard on the brass.

I've used 280 Norma brass for my 6.5 Sherman. I wanted to be able to turn necks and 280s we're a little thicker. Most of brass lasted 10 firings.

I also picked up some 280 RWS, necks are thinner than their 270 brass. Hope to get around to trying these one of these days. For now, I'm staying with the Norma.

I run a 65 Sherman Norma brass right in the ragged edge 65.5 hrs N570 3250 and I too get 5 + firings on it. Very good brass take care of it and it will last. I anneal every second firing I've only had to trim brass once very little growth. I also know a fella who runs his 65 with h1000 at 3000 very mild load for the Sherman and he will probably do better than I do.
RWS is thicker too so you may loose a bit of capacity how much I'm not sure.

Ok I'm going to build a 280 Sherman and was told to use either the RWS brass or the Norma brass. What is everyone's experience with both or either? The Norma I can get 100 for $71 the RWS is available for 20 for $34.98 I know the rws is supposed to be really good brass and it should be for the price. But how is the Norma because it is way more affordable.
I prefer Nosler over Norma brass...Personally. The little bit extra in price is worth all the extras you get with the Nosler, like truly weight-sorted brass, polished, chamfered & demurred case mouths, demurred flash holes, etc...

Hey Mud are they not both made in same place ? I was told that before.
Talk with Rich ZR6 280AI nosler brass may be a good way to go easy forming almost the same head stamp!!

Hey Mud are they not both made in same place ? I was told that before.
Talk with Rich ZR6 280AI nosler brass may be a good way to go easy forming almost the same head stamp!!
Used to be, but then Nosler would take the Norma brass, and finish the prep work and polish and weight-sort it at their facility, then package it. Now that Nosler has acquired SSA (Silver State Armory), who had their own brass manufacturing plant, I believe they are making their own.

The .280 AI brass won't do any good. The Sherman shoulder is way farther back than the .280 AI. You would be ahead to save the money and buy .270 Win and form them yourself, because either way, you have to form them.

Ritch really suggests RWS brass
Well, of course, he has monetary investment and partnerships to protect. I can't blame him. If I was partnered with someone else, I would recommend them first, as well. That's good business practices...Especially if they put out a good product. RWS is sort of high-priced...Even more-so than Nosler.

But any .270 Win brass will work. I prefer Nosler, but another really tough and good .270 Win brass I've used for wildcatting is Winchester brand. It's not as nice as Nosler, but you can pick it up pretty cheap if you ever get in a money-pinch.

Well, of course, he has monetary investment and partnerships to protect. I can't blame him. If I was partnered with someone else, I would recommend them first, as well. That's good business practices...Especially if they put out a good product. RWS is sort of high-priced...Even more-so than Nosler.

But any .270 Win brass will work. I prefer Nosler, but another really tough and good .270 Win brass I've used for wildcatting is Winchester brand. It's not as nice as Nosler, but you can pick it up pretty cheap if you ever get in a money-pinch.
If he is a partner with RWS, why aren't they making his SAUM brass?

If he is a partner with RWS, why aren't they making his SAUM brass?
I thought RWS is who is making his SS brass? Am I wrong?

Also, just to be 100% clear, I didn't mean that in a negative or sarcastic way, I was just stating that it makes sense for companies who partner up, to recommend the other company as their top pick.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.