RWS Cases

COBrad

Picked up 100 of these cases for my 7 Rem. mag. I checked weight, length, and neck wall thickness on 20 of them tonight. Avg. weight was 262.7 gr. and all weighed within +- 1/2%. Lengths were within .003, not enough difference to affect the weight too much. Neck walls on 15 were <.001 variance, 4 <.0015, and one was almost .002.
This looks to be very consistent brass, better than the Norma I have been using for a couple calibers, and as good as the Nosler Custom brass I have for a .270. At $1.97 a piece, I expect it to be superior brass.

RWS brass is amongst the best available. I'd rate it better than Norma and equal to Lapua. Yes, the cost is high but better value than Norma.

I don't mind paying for really good brass... the problem is usually finding it. My 'smith told me this brass is as good, or better, than Lapua. I found it at Huntington Die Specialties.

It is good brass. I use it quite a bit in the 300 wm's. I will warn you though if you are going in it with a proven load that was in lighter brass I would back the powder off and work back up. Going from WW or RP into RWS in the 300 wm we had to back down 3 gr due to the smaller case volume of the RWS. Plus it might have something to o with how hard it is. It is indeed good brass. But personally I still prefer Lapua in my 300 wm. Thats right I still have some stashed and hope it never runs out.:)

Don't know if the 7 rem brass will act the same as the 300 RWS, but I thought it might save you some trouble.

Jeff

I picked up some 300 wm rws from huntingtons. I use lapua in my 308 but we all no its no longer around for 300 wm.. I loaded some 175smk's to break in the barrel. 3 manuels gave me a low charge of 77 grains of h1000 and a high of 79.5. I loaded 78 grains and it was almost a compressed load. this brass is thick thick.. The first shot showed a really flat primer. after the rub and scrub to break in properly the second shot didn't have the flat primer. The speed was 3000 fps from my ohler. BTW the barrel was cryo dipped before the build. after the third round I had no copper fouling and 3 scrubs with butches cleaned it up. I ran sweets through it and let it sit for a bit.... no copper residue. I hope the barrel will polish with a little more time 3000 fps seems slow to me. make sure you start low on the powder!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts