Rutumbo replacement

Topshelfbv

So I am starting to run out of Retumbo for my 338 lapua. I shoot 300 Gr match king. What would you recommend for a replacement option that a guy could find more often available? If any of you guys have a couple pounds of retumbo for sale, or a good substitute I would definitely be interested.
Thanks
Gentlemen

Don't give up hope. I bought 8# of Retumbo from MidSouth 5 or 6 weeks ago. I was using IMR8133 as a replacement till I ran out of that. For me the slower Enduron powders have been hardest to find (7977 and 8133). I found RL 25, 26, 33 at my LGS, then immediately went and bought a lotto ticket…cause I was on a lucky streak. I also found some vitavouri N170 which is close to the same BR as Retumbo. Long range forum members are good about giving us a heads up…just have to be quick sometimes it's all gone In minutes. If you were in Texas I could help you out, but as I know, very few of us can ship hazmat.

So I am starting to run out of Retumbo for my 338 lapua. I shoot 300 Gr match king. What would you recommend for a replacement option that a guy could find more often available? If any of you guys have a couple pounds of retumbo for sale, or a good substitute I would definitely be interested.
Thanks
Gentlemen
Where are you? I have 13 pounds of VV24N41 that should work well with your 300gr pills.

I have a few options that I'm getting ready to try. We've run 8133 and 7977 with good results in a 338 Norma with the 300's. On deck are LRT (fairly available) US869 (somewhat available) RL33 (good luck!) and I'm going to pick up some Shooters World 50 (readily available). I've read that a couple people have tried it and have had great success.

Don't give up hope. I bought 8# of Retumbo from MidSouth 5 or 6 weeks ago. I was using IMR8133 as a replacement till I ran out of that. For me the slower Enduron powders have been hardest to find (7977 and 8133). I found RL 25, 26, 33 at my LGS, then immediately went and bought a lotto ticket…cause I was on a lucky streak. I also found some vitavouri N170 which is close to the same BR as Retumbo. Long range forum members are good about giving us a heads up…just have to be quick sometimes it's all gone In minutes. If you were in Texas I could help you out, but as I know, very few of us can ship hazmat.
Thanks I want to keep using retumbo if I can I was shooting 1/4 Mia at 100 with it. And it would shoot like absolute crap with almost every other bullet I tried so. I'm worried trying other powder.
I am in north Idaho

Hodgdon sells a 338 Lapua Specific powder, under the Ramshot brand.

Both Powder Valley and Hodgdon direct currently have this in stock. Hodgdon has 8 pounders available.

LRT details below (from Hodgdon site)

"As one of the slowest spherical powders ever developed, LRT, was created for high performance at extreme ranges. Designed specifically for the 338 Lapua Magnum using heavy, high ballistic coefficient bullets. LRT offers high load densities and low standard deviations for superior accuracy. Hunters who prefer the advantages of overbore magnums like the 257 Weatherby or 30 Nosler will find that LRT meters more easily and produces flatter trajectories than rival propellants."

I have found that RE25 is almost an exact replacement for Retumbo. This has been across many different cartridges. RE25 actually gets higher velocity with less pressure than Retumbo.
In the Lapua sized case, not direct replacement for Retumbo, but as an alternative powder, US869, H50BMG and N570 would be my picks.
I have run out of US869, RE33 and Supreme 780 and there will be none for me to have, so the above is what I chose to try out in my own designed 338-416 Rigby Improved 45° shoulder wildcat. Essentially a 33XC with a little more capacity.

Cheers.

RL 330.267
US8690.2735
N5700.277
RSLRT0.285
IMR 81330.3
N5650.319
ACC MagPro0.3342
RETUMBO0.337
RL260.3397
RSMag0.345
H10000.366

Above I have posted a number of other popular slow burning powders on a numbers basis,
H1000 being the Fastest and RL 33 being the Slowest. Batch to batch all this can vary up or down by 5-10%.

You can see Accurate Magpro and RL26 are closest in burn rate to Retumbo. But Magpro may not be temp stable, and RL26 may be but with exceptions over 95 degrees. N565 may be a good substitute as it is supposed to be temp stable. The new N568 is also temp stable and is in the right ball park. But here is all the hard data to consider.

Both Powder Valley and Hodgdon direct currently have this in stock. Hodgdon has 8 pounders available.

"As one of the slowest spherical powders ever developed, LRT, was created for high performance at extreme ranges. Designed specifically for the 338 Lapua Magnum using heavy, high ballistic coefficient bullets. LRT offers high load densities and low standard deviations for superior accuracy. Hunters who prefer the advantages of overbore magnums like the 257 Weatherby or 30 Nosler will find that LRT meters more easily and produces flatter trajectories than rival propellants."
Have you experience with

have you experience with this powder? I will be using it in a large temp range 95 deg to 0 deg or lower

Have you experience with

have you experience with this powder? I will be using it in a large temp range 95 deg to 0 deg or lower
I have not loaded with it, yet...

There are multiple threads on here with guys currently trying it with great success in multiple calibers. There is a current thread on its use in 300 WM, which would be my application.

I know that others are loading it in 338 Lapuas, and again, per the manufacturer, that was the initial design intent. It also shows up pretty regularly (like I mentioned, currently available by the keg full), so it might be worth working up a load as you know there is a much better chance of running across this powder than Retumbo.

Hope this helps.

LRT is a lot slower than Retumbo.
So in really cold weather it may be real slow.

Ramshot makes no claim about its temperature sensitivity. Some guys shooting it though seem to be getting very good velocities even on 300 gr bullets.

A hot load developed at 70 may be scary at 95 though.

I was shooting Retumbo in my two Lapuas as well as two 300 RUMs but now use 8133 in one Lapua and one RUM, with 570 working very well my other RUM. I have about 16 lbs Retumbo I still using in my other Lapua, but 8133 shot well in that one as well.