Rusted Action and scope

My custom rifle that I had been storing in my mother-in-laws basement had water damage from a broken pipe. All the metal parts now have a thin layer of rust. HELP!!!!! Is there anyone who specializes in this or could I have all the surfaces refinised in teflon or parkerized???

bead blast it. not sand but glass beads then teflon coat it or krylon it

also oil and 0000 steel wool wil work

[ 06-24-2003: Message edited by: J Schulze ]

all is not lost. For the exterior, fine steel wool will remove losts of the surface rust. Glass beading will remove the tougher stuff. You can reblue, parkerize, teflon, baked on teflon/laquer, etc. Would be tough to tell anything bad happened to it.

For the bore however, you will need to lap most of the rust out of it. Start with a nylon (stiff) brush and gun solvent. See how much will simply come off. Then handlap with JB lapping compound followed by non embedding stuff. The bore hopefully, will be back and shiny.

If there are still very obvious pitts above the surface, wrap fine steel wool around a smaller brush and lap. you will feel that area smooth up.

Any below surface pits will not affect your accuracy too much. Work up your loads again and see what happens.

Too bad...

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.