rust on dies

It will remove light surface rust with the right solution. I've never tried mine on heavy rust. You can make your own solution with white vinegar, distilled water and dawn dish soap

Do not attempt to remove rust with a stainless steel pin tumbler. This will ruin the interior as well as abrasives. As 88 said, a gel rust remover will work well.

True copper wool (i.e. pure copper, not copper plated steel) is excellent for use in removing rust on polished or chrome surfaces like the inside of a die.
If you get the blue scotch brite pads (will not scratch) and couple them with oxalic acid (Barkeeps' Friend), this effectively removes rust too. I have used this on hook/loop on small pneumatic orbital die grinder, and while it chews through the blue scotch brites quickly, it really cleans up on rust - kind of like vibratory cleaning with a non-abrasive scrubber and chemical that dissolves rust.

Do not attempt to remove rust with a stainless steel pin tumbler. This will ruin the interior as well as abrasives. As 88 said, a gel rust remover will work well.
I'd be willing to try this with a trashed set of RCBS dies that I have. One of my machinists used to tumble aluminum parts in a pin tumbler before we sent them off to anodizing. I was worried we'd dimensionally change these precision parts, and he demonstrated it took off less than 0.0002" total from the aluminum. The anodizing came out looking much better as a result.

Soak them in Evapo-Rust. The stuff works better than everything else I've tried.

Attachments

• 1920448E-E9D7-4CA4-A424-08DC9992D88F.jpeg
    1920448E-E9D7-4CA4-A424-08DC9992D88F.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 62
Here is a method that works flawlessly every time. Avoid the problem rather than have to correct it. Treat metal as it should be and it won't degrade...... Why is there never enough time to avoid the problem, but always time to correct the problem????
I brought some reloading stuff reasonable some of the dies had rust on them

One suggestion for storing dies etc., add one of those desiccant packs that come in medications, etc. One of the added benefits of getting old and taking so many meds is the packs that come with them. I use them in my reloading dies as pistol molds. They can be "recharged" in a food hydrator or toaster oven periodically.