Rust like deposits on brass?

MagnumManiac

G'day all,
Just came across a piece of Barnes 300 RUM brass with what looks like rust coloured corrosion or contamination?
It's a first for me and tumbling the case for a few hours has done nothing.
Is there a remedy for this other than using 0000 steel wool or polish?
It almost appears to be part of the brass….here's a photo below.
DF61B72F-4E8B-41DA-B25E-6CA1819BF91E.jpeg

Cheers.

Try tumble with SS rods. If that does not remove , toss them.
Never put polish on brass, or oil or anything else. Brass need purchase to the chamber or the bolt may break.
Example of tumble with SS rods.

Attachments

• IMG_0789.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG
    840.9 KB · Views: 46
I've seen this before too. Never dealt with it on rifle brass before but have alot on shotgun hulls. Usually caused by moisture IME and just use the steel wool to clean it off. I usually wipe some penetrating oil on them if not shooting them right away after I clean it off.

I've seen Verdi gris on brass before which is green corrosion, and black spots but never rust looking deposits.
I don't tumble in SS pins, so I'll just rub it off with 0000 steel wool and tumble again.
Didn't notice it until after I sized it.

Cheers.

My buddy picked up some .223 range brass that was much worse than that. Just for laughs I tossed it in my SS tumbler to see how much they could be improved. Interestingly enough, they came out looking better then new. Even I was surprised at how nice they looked.
This is not tarnish like brass left in the weather gets. I have plenty of 44 Mag brass like that, it polished out over time in the tumbler, this appears to be impregnated into the brass surface.
Anyway, steel wool will remove it when I get time to do it.

Cheers.

I saw it when my brother had a bunch of boxed .308 rounds get wet from a flooding basement and were left to dry on their own. I just vibratory tumbled with walnut shell media to remove the rough spots and will let him shoot them, assuming they chamber properly. Then I plan to use SS steel shavings in a rotary tumbler to clean them after depriming.

So this solution is still in process and not proven yet.

How and where was the brass stored, the tarnishing looks like it could be from rat or mice urine, rodent urine not only stains or tarnises brass but will etch it as well, corn cod or walnut media will not remove it,

How and where was the brass stored, the tarnishing looks like it could be from rat or mice urine, rodent urine not only stains or tarnises brass but will etch it as well, corn cod or walnut media will not remove it,
It is ONE piece from 5 boxes of factory ammo. I used it to season my barrel. You cannot feel a thing with a fingernail, so it doesn't appear to be from a contaminant in storage.
I have plenty examples of etched brass from chemicals making the brass corrode, this is not that.

Cheers.

Try tumble with SS rods. If that does not remove , toss them.
Never put polish on brass, or oil or anything else. Brass need purchase to the chamber or the bolt may break.
Example of tumble with SS rods.

Do you not use case lube?

Looks like finger print residue over time. Use a little Hoppes on your steel wool.

Do you not use case lube?

Looks like finger print residue over time. Use a little Hoppes on your steel wool.
Mr Lindsey,
I totally disregarded this post because it makes zero sense.
I have witnessed a member on another forum that literally greased his ammo and fired it with NO ILL EFFECTS. So I know it is possible to do so.
Anyway, tomorrow will tell when I spin it up and remove that blemish.

Cheers.