• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Russian Military Laser rangefinder

I would like some more information on this new 2,00 yard unit from Sportsmans Guide. If it is indeed under $300 and would actually range even to 1,000 yards in any condition, they'd have a hot seller on their hands.
The Russian would be sweet but it's hard enough for me to get an extra $300, let alone $3,000.

All I can tell is what is posted. Saw it advertised in their catalog. emailed asking for spec sheet. It is arriving with first order which is due on 7 Oct. You have the website and item number. Suggest you go to website and email them requesting spec sheet when it comes in or take gamble and order one.

My guess is that it will be accurate on non-reflective items such as ground, game etc out to over 1000-1200 yards and only accurate on highly reflective at 2000 yards such as buildings etc. It is a low powered class 1 and as such cannot have the precision accuracy. But then if you use it to get close and then first round onto a target off to the side should work well enough to get you in the ball park.

Guys,

Read what I said. Before you go off making ludicrious comparisons about something that you know absolutely zero about except how to push the button.

Never said anything about national security for not allowing into US. What I said was that the US military (note not Russian) had an exemption for certain criterea due to combat or the laser is classified in interests of national security.

Most commercial construction type-use lasers are class 1 and eye safe. therefore no problem. Read the federally required instructions and warning literature. Military range finding lasers are either class 3a or 3b and are very powerful and dangerous items with their own unique rules and criteria.

Try to grasp this simple concept,
"Possession of an item does not make it legal". Neither does the fact that someone brought them in and sold them and did not get caught. That does not mean you are home free. Just means you have not been caught, yet.

Anyone remotely familiar with the military use and training of range finding lases knows that they are considered the same thing as a weapon for range purposes and even have more stringent restrictions placed on them due to the danger of reflective beam going out of the area.

The CFR requires certain warning labels on all lasers, requires the distributor and sellor to make available all literature etc on the item being sold.

Anyone that doubts this pick up the phone and call the FDA Laser compliance division in Maryland at 1-800-638-2041, tell them you got one or thinking about buying a russian military surplus class 3 laser want to know if it is legal and see what happens.

bountyhunter...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Guys, Before you go off making ludicrious comparisons about something that you know absolutely zero about except how to push the button.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guy... where the hell do you come off deciding that we are all button pushing idiots? You have absolutly no knowledge about the technical backgrounds of any of us.

I (for one) spent three years as a director of laser research at Columbia University from '71 to '74, where we worked with 20 watt Argon gas continous lasers, 160 watt CO/2 lasers (that will burn through cinderblock), and 250 watt Q-switched Ruby lasers... and you know what. There wasn't a single button to push in the whole lab!

Just goes to show what you know, HA!
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

CatShooter

[ 09-22-2002: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

Guys,

the www.sportsmansguide.com has the 2000 yard rangefinder coming in 7 Oct. Item numberGx2D2-65777. Spec sheets will only be available at that time when the shipment comes in. email them to order one or get spec sheet. My guess is it is a Class 1 which means you will probably get accurate readings to 1000-1400 yards on non reflective items (game) and out to 2000 on highly reflective such as buildings etc. Generally class 1s have worked out to be reliable out to about 2/3 max highly reflective capability.

Take your chance or wait.

Like I said in my earlier post, for fun I was going to take a look at "Title 21, CFR 1040.10 & 1040.11" and judge for myself. I started to chuckle to myself upon reading just the title of part 1040 "Performance Standards For Light-Emitting Products. And after reading the applicability statement of this particular part, I was laugh my rear-end off.. "Title 21, CFR 1040.10 (a) Applicability. The provisions of this section and Sc. 1040.11, as amended are applicable as specified to all laser products manufactured or assembled after August 1, 1976,". I am not going to quote the whole reg, but as it applies to useage by a private citizen used for personal/recreational purposes, IT DOES NOT APPLY HERE…… This applies to the MANUFACTUREING of or ASSEMBLING of such a product.

Okay, I was not going to state that as clear as I did as I did not want to get into any technical discussion regarding lasers. True, they are something I know little about, except I do know not to ever point a laser towards anyone and I do know how to push the little buttons. My original intent was to convey to Daryl and others that hey, don't worry about Title 21, CFR 1040.40 as it pertains to putting on the laser a warning label that tells us simple folks, not to look at the beam and to avoid direct exposure to the beam, dependant on what class your unit is..

But , when the assumption that stated so eloquently, that we simple folks shouldn't make ludicrous comparisons on something we know little about other than how to push the little button, I was offended. I am with Catshooter, as you don't know your audience. As far as the only ludicrous comparison I have seen posted on this subject, is the one applying the above stated regs to the use by a private citizen for recreational use or exchange of said units between private citizens... The only statement I have read that makes sense is the last one, about calling the FDA Laser compliance division in Maryland at 1-800-638-2041 if you have questions.

In closing, I'd like to add that I only looked at the said regulations. I am not implying that none exsist regarding "use & possesion by a private citizen". I simply am not going to look any further. Daryl discussed the matter with his legal advisor and was advised he is good to go. Daryl's word is good enough for me.

Nuff Said, the fun is gone from this discussion. Nodak out..

null

[ 09-17-2002: Message edited by: Nodak7mm ]