Russian LRU-1 Rangefinder story

If somebody accidently ran into my truck because they could not tell the difference between a normal vehicle and a bumper car, I would not be happy about it.
If somebody blinds me because they did not know the impact of using a non eye-safe device, I would not be happy about it either.
It seems to me that Bounty Hunter has taken an informative stance and stood by it. I admire that.

How much interest would you have in long range hunting if you were blind?

That's a silly argument. Why not ask how much interest somebody would have in shooting if they had been paralyzed by a careless hunter.

How much interest would I have in eating steak if somebody had cut my ears off with a Ginsu? Come on.

BountyHunter wants to shove his views in the face of everybody using what he considers a dangerous device. Rosie O'Donnell wants to do the same thing. Let the buyer beware. Let the buyer be responsible and careful. Let the bureaucrats stay out of the business of decent people. And that's just about everybody.
rolleyes.gif

When you are playing with something you do not know the basic procedures for proper use both with the equipment, lasing boats, areas and people, that is endangering everyone else not you. People have been injured with these things, military (SOF)wear laser proof glasses. Those are not off the shelf Oakleys SOF guys are wearing in those pictures.

If the danger was to you, I would say go ahead and be like that and the only person you could hurt was you. However you are using something that will endanger other people not you. You do not have a god given right to endanger anyone else. You do not have the right to drive 120MPH down the road just because you like speed and are stupid. That is BS if you think so.

Finally I have been LR hunting for years and I have used lasers in the military for years. I know what they can do and how safe or unsafe certain ones are. If you injured someone else and it is traced back to a LR forum, then you endanger this sport for the rest of us. Right now I have a "sniper" that has killed two people within 2 miles of my house. I do not want to see LR hunting and guns endangered by a loose cannon who thinks he can do anything he wants without regard for anyone else. That is an arrogant A-- who has no business with guns or sharp objects. If that is your attitude, you are bigger danger to legitimate and conciencious hunters than Rosie O'Donnell ever could be because they are going to make you the "stupid LR hunter" posterchild that endangers everyone else. Personally, I would just as see someone with your attitude out of the sport sooner than later anyway.

Finally, one more time reaaaalll sloooww so it willl hopefully sink in. Military surplus class 3 lasers are not legal to import and sell to the general public. Not my interpertation, fact the law. I can make, or import and sell or buy a suppressor also. That does not make it legal.

Try to grasp this simple concept, just because you have done something and have not been caught yet does not mean it is legal!!!

Now if that makes a bureaucrat, then so be it. I will still have my gun owning rights long after they take yours away, after convicting you when you injure someone.

To all

Now that we have all been informed, "many times" as to the supposed legality, by Bounty Hunter concerning his experiance with laser equipment, the folks who own these lasers will be VERY careful with their use, I'm sure.

As in "MY" rifles, the government will have to pry mine from my cold dead fingers and this applies to laser equipment also.

IF in fact they are illegal to own (I have been told different) and with the amount of military lasers that are in this country, and that are in the hands of sportsmen/hunters, it would be an impossiblity to find them all and start some sort of confiscation.
I know of hundreds that are here and being used for hunting purposes and surveying work.

There are "companies" I know of right now selling them in this country so, I guess the problem isn't too terrific as one might lead one to believe, legal or not legal.

Most people want them for hunting and that's the only time they are used. Most people are also VERY careful in the operation of such, also.

I would think that we should all be concerned about some deranged soul in the DC area shooting people at will, more then worrying about a rangefinder that has not caused damage to anyone, to this point.
Theres always the chance of getting hurt by anything, even a sling shot.

Our gun rights are in trouble as we all know and we can thank this crazed killer in the Virginia and DC area for that.

Why don't we all just concentrate on positive subjects concerning our gun ownership and sporting equipment and let those who have an item or two, that he or she enjoys and uses safely, alone?

It's really nobodys business what a person owns,uses or enjoys and that's the way it should be. I know of those who own Thompson Subs (not licensed) and have them stored in their attic. That's none of my business or anyone elses either.

If I drive 70 in a 65 mile speed zone, I guess I'm breaking the law and I think we ALL have done that at one time or another.
If I drive 120 miles an hour in a 65 zone, I'm still guilty of speeding and breaking the law. "It's not my business" though if someone wants to do that, I won't.

For those who own the Russian laser, my only comment would be, to be carefull with the device and enjoy them for the reason (hunting and surveying) you purchased them for. They are not a toy.

DC

Bounty Hunter, you speak like a hard-core bureaucrat. Do you enjoy raining on the parade, what's left of it, of shooting enthusiasts? What business is it of yours that some folks want to engage in inherently risky activities?

Water-skiing, motocross, swimming, shooting, bicycling, and driving to work all have risks. Liberty is what makes the USA strong, not outrageous infringement of the rights of decent people to manage their own lives (and what they buy and use). Who are you and your kind to mandate such rules for others?

Veiled threats of "FDA going after people", "better get a good lawyer", whatever, that's out of line. If you don't think the Russian LRU-1 is safe, or any product of any type, then don't use it. Respect the rights of others to make choices for themselves.

Moderator, if the subject matter of my reply is too controversial or unsuitable, I will respect your right to delete it.

smile.gif
smile.gif

After reading all this about the Russian rangefinder and what BountyHunter is stating, I called a friend of mine at BATF and he stated that owning one of these units you are liable to confiscation and prosecution. He also told me that owning one of these is like owning a suspressor, total illegal. I myself was going to buy one, but after talking to my friend, I deceided that I'm too old to sit in the big house for 10 or so years. This is what I found out so everybody that has one if you keep on using it, I would keep it under my hat by not saying anything to anyone and don't use it in a crowd, as people tend to talk to much.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.